Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17t-j100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I recently did a clean install of windows 10 on my laptop. I deleted all drive partitions and reformatted. Now startup takes 20 mins to an hour, if it doesnt freeze. Kind of the opposite I hoped for with the clean install! Could it be drivers? I did all the windows updates and it says my drivers are current. Do I need to install the drivers from HP's site even if they are "older"? I tried installing them immediately after w10 install, but that crashed out and errored so I had to do the windows install again. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@SpaceBear3000 

A clean-install is not a Miracle Cure for anything that ails a PC -- and with Win10, it can actually make matters worse -- because you start all over again from scratch with the Win10 version you install and on your next reboot, Windows Update takes over the PC and hogs it until it has found, downloaded, and installed all the updates it thinks are necessary.

Additionally, if you were encountering runtime errors like very slow response, frequent crashes, and the PC freezing -- those tend to indicate a failing hard drive and a reinstall, by stressing that, will only tend to make things worse.

So, start by telling us why your forced the clean-install of Win10.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.