Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I would also like to be put in contact with the team that handles this. I constantly work into the night and not having the backlit keyboard is an incredibly annoying bug. 

@hp support please reach out to me to fix this issue! 

HP Recommended

I have an HP 15 Intel Core i5. Most of the methods here are either temporary or just don't work with my laptop. Not even taping a key down!!!

What's the deal? I was given this computer for school and everything works great except for this one issue. 

HP Recommended

HP is being FAR TOO SLOW in responding to this - which affects the ENVY range of premium devices as well.

A ridiculous design decision exacerbated by inaction on HP's part. What a pity to have to return the otherwise outstanding device for such a show-stopping failure.

HP Recommended

Just want to add my voice to the army of dissatisfied consumers who have shelled out thousands £££ to be left dealing with a stupid design flaw with a simple remedy that is not being implemented through absolute arrogance on the part of HP. I wonder how many people are suffering in silence, can't get a refund for their machine and are using the last HP they will ever buy. It'll be one of life's little ironies that Dell takes the crown of Windows premium alternative to Macbook and HP are left in the dust wondering why. The execs won't imagine for a minute that the contempt they showed their consumers over a little backlight issue could have swung it for Dell. Consumers are fickle creatures and we do not like it when our suppliers prioritise self interest and marketing over user experience.  

HP Recommended

Backlit keyboard goes out after 15 seconds after unknown HP update. I say unknown because I had HP support spend days on both updating and then downgrading the BIOS and firmware to no avail. There's no control of backlight timeout anywhere. The fn keys only gives dim, bright or off. The first 6 months of ownership I had dim, bright, off and always on. I need it always on in my line of work, its crucial. I read over 200 complaints online re this issue with no fix. This truly is beyond absurd that this was a feature then taken away! If anyone has a real fix please post. I say "real fix" because I spent over a month and 97 documented hours of research and tech support so far.  I signed the petition, Thank you so much!

This is the laptop: HP Spectre Folio - 13-ak0013dx

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name WIN10
System Manufacturer HP
System Model HP Spectre Folio Convertible 13-ak0xxx
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 4TL67UA#ABA
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8500Y CPU @ 1.50GHz, 1608 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.40, 12/1/2020
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 14.54
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
BaseBoard Product 8503
BaseBoard Version 14.54
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\windows
System Directory C:\windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.89 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.62 GB
Total Virtual Memory 9.14 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.47 GB
Page File Space 1.25 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes
Trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. Albert Einstein
HP Recommended

There is no proper solution. You may have come across this reddit thread (see below) or the same "solution" elsewhere. It works up to a point. The end result is :

1. That the touch pad no longer turns the backlight back on from a timed out condition (Bad)

2. After any soft restart the backlight stays on semi-permanently (see 4) (Very Good)

3. The backlight can still be turned off in the usual way (Good)

4. If the laptop goes into sleep mode the backlight falls back into its default options (ie no permanent on option) (Very bad)

So if you set this up right then every time you do a soft restart you get your backlights as we all want on with no timeout - but go to sleep and you have to do another soft restart to get it back on without timeout.

By no means perfect but better than nothing - at least I get through whole work days with the backlight on (with sleep mode disabled). I think its the best we are going to get. The new models will have the problem resolved and we will just have to live with it. Completely unacceptable at this price point!

https://www.reddit.com/r/spectrex360/comments/evxkyh/how_to_force_keyboard_backlighting_to_stay_on_n...

Good Luck !  

HP Recommended

Can anyone re-write this fix for us as a run/setup .exe file to not have to do the extra steps of going into a dos screen? Why can't HP rewrite it and put it on on the website as a fix?

Trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. Albert Einstein
HP Recommended

I'm not using it anymore. Beside the keyboard lights, it was way too loud as well. Those fans were like an airplane taking off.

I'm using Lenovo now, and will never go back to HP, never.

It was a very bad investment (+2800EUR), and will let everybody know about my "experience" with HP...

HP Recommended

What is wrong with you Riddle Decipher ?

Are you mentally ill ? Why do you need feaking  serial number and another info ?

The problem is simple to understand and is it in all the HP Spectre.

The keyboars lights simply go off after 30 secs.and there is nothing we can do about it.

There is necessary fix it for all HP Spectre.

Your "appropriate team" should do something.

Sorry I am not polite.I am really pissed off.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.