cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
TheDogman
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Spectre x360 doesn't turn on

HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My wife was using her Spectre 360 and it just stopped working and will not power on. No leds are lit and nothing happens when you press the power switch. It doesn't matter whether the power cord is attached or not. There is no life to the laptop. It's only about 2-3 years old. 

6 REPLIES 6
TBNL
Level 1
5 3 0 0
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Could be a few possibilities, can you provide more info?

At this point it's hard to tell but the first thing you need to check is the power supply.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
TheDogman
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I used the power cord and also the power cord from my spectre and neither made a difference. 

TBNL
Level 1
5 3 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please provide more info for further assistance

If you don't think you see anything else other than a dead laptop, take it to a technician and have them examine it.

holdrio
Level 2
9 6 1 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In this case it might help to disconnect the battery for about 15 sec. Pressing the power button for 15-20 seconds has the same effect on some models.
If the LED does not light up when the power is connected, the odds are against you.
Have you already tested the AC adapter?

TheDogman
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did hold the power button for quite awhile and used my power cord (which works) with no affect. Since my wife doesn't back up her laptop I took out her ssd and put it in mine to copy it an external hd. I can take the battery out and try that but from what I've read no one has found what the problem is. I don't see anything noticeably wrong with the back off. 

TheDogman
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We took the laptop to an authorized HP service provider and they diagnosed it as a malfunctioning capacitor or chipset on the motherboard.  They took the battery out, which likely drained the components, reconnected it and heard a clicking or hissing sound coming from the motherboard (the fans were not moving) when the laptop finally turned back on.

They told me to contact HP to get the motherboard repaired or replaced.  I sent an email, but haven't heard back yet.  Has anyone had any luck with a motherboard repair or replacement through HP?

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation