Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy Ultrabook 4-1030
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Reaching out to the experts. I have been having an issue with my HP laptop. Whenever I do a restart or cold start-up, Windows will not boot and I get this odd screen - like a rolling screen (see photo). I am able to shut down the unit, restart the unit (perhaps several times) and will eventually get into the BIOS screen and then exit, at which time Windows will start. 

boot up screenboot up screen

I do have a video but I can seem to upload it here. 

Looking for any assistance from the forum. 

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@lookin4helpp 

There are two different restart methods: hot and cold. 

A hot restart is when you put the laptop to sleep or into hibernation, the screen goes dark, and then later, you press the power button and the laptop immediately restarts.

A cold restart is when you completely power down the laptop and then turn it back on some time later.  For this to be the case, you have to have sleep and hibernation both disabled.

When cold starts work but hot starts fail, the problem is nearly always Fast Startup.

Win10 has enabled a new hibernation process known as Fast Startup -- which is enabled BY DEFAULT. This is different from Fast Boot, which is a BIOS/UEFI option.

Fast Startup is supposed to dramatically speed up the booting process, but in some PCs, it actually slows it down or causes it to hang. It's also a new form of hibernation known as hybrid sleep -- and this causes battery drain to maintain the state of the PC while turned off. In some rare cases, it can also cause a laptop to overheat because the processor is still running and still generating heat, as this has been reported when the laptop was turned off and put inside a case.

Disabling Fast Startup might fix booting and shutdown problems.

There are two ways to disable FastStartup in Win10: (1) through the Control Panel, and (2) through an elevated command prompt.

Control Panel - Open Control Panel --> Power Options.
Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
At the bottom of the Window, under Shutdown settings, uncheck the box regarding fast startup

Elevated command prompt - run the following command:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F

In both cases, reboot Windows.

NOW, Fast Startup is disabled.

See if that helps.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for the detailed information. A little clarification on my part. This only happens on a cold start and I am currently using Windows 7. 

HP Recommended

@lookin4helpp 

Sorry, I missed the Win7 part ... and the cold start makes this a very different issue.

So, if you go into the BIOS settings and do not change anything but merely exit, the laptop reboots OK every time?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Yes, I do not change anything but merely exit and the laptop reboots OK every time I do this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.