Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Notebook 15-af112nr

Hp notebook 15-af112-nr running windows 10. Laptop froze while attempting to log in to spotify. A friend suggested I use power button (?) to turn off (shut down) device then use button again to turn device back on and to do this three times in succession. Upon final start device went into a diagnosing/repairing mode, allowed me to enter password then became “stuck” in a black screen. No error mssg. Attempted to turn device of then on, continue black screen. Shut off then immediately after powering back on pressed “esc” repeatedly which opened the “Startup Menu”. However I do not know which option I am to choose or even “what” each one means/does. I apologize for my ignorance.

209Sr
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@JustFlyin 

Pressing the Esc key repeatedly is HOW you launch the HP Startup Menu -- so your PC is doing exactly what  you are forcing it to do!

If you don't want that menu, then reboot without pressing the Esc key and if that menu does reappear, it should go away after a few seconds and then bring up a login window.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello and Thank you for your assistance. I did however manage to get past (work through?) the dilemma I’d  gotten myself into only to encounter something else. At the moment my touchpad is not working and the cursor is frozen. I’ve been having “issues”, on & off for a week or two and  installed malwarebytes(free?) thinking that might help. However I have no idea “what” I am doing (duh?!) and after the scan & a list of potential threats I again, didn’t know the next strp so I did 0. Now as I said, I’m stuck with a frozen cursor. Can you possibly help asap? Maybe I should just take it in to repair shop and let them do whatever they do??

209Sr
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.