Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY TouchSmart 17-j130us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After finding my notebook locked in a Windows Automatic Repair loop the morning of Nov. 13, I ran boot diagnostics and received short DST failure code QC601S-785A9W-MFGH7F-60VE03.  This is a first-time lockout occurrence, and I think that Microsoft updated my Windows10 last night.  <snipped>

NEW INFO: As I mentioned in a subsequent post below, I learned that a short DST failure could be caused by many things, so I did some checking on my HDD.  I ran chkdsk /f /r on C: drive, and found no significant problems.  Windows fixed minor issues, then I ran diskpart sel disk 0, list partition and list volume, and learned that my C: drive is a GPT drive, and all volume partitions are healthy.  I also noticed that my HP Envy HDD is happily communicating with the network backup drive (WD MyBook Live), even though I cannot access Windows.  Since the HP Recovery utility was unable to help with repairs, I downloaded "Windows 10 bootable Media Creation Tool for another computer" to a USB drive on this notebook, and booted up the HP Envy with it (the Envy would not boot to the internal HP Recovery Tool).  My plan was to get into a recovery mode Windows 10 GUI so I could access some Windows 10 configuration tools, but when I found a Startup Repair option in the Media Creation Tool recovery selections, I decided to try it again.  I started that repair about 6-1/2 hours ago, and it still seems to be running.  Right now, i'm looking at a black screen with an arrow cursor that I can move, and a normal rotating "working" circle connected to it that randomly blinks on and off fairly rapidly while rotating, while the upper edge of my normally-hidden task bar blinks on and off in a separate random sequence at the bottom of my screen (the whole taskbar is not visible).  My current questions are, "How long should I let Startup Repair run before I give up on it and take my chances with a Windows 10 clean install?" and "If I shut down Startup Repair before it is finished, would I risk data corruption?"

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@wackyjobber 

The failure code tool we use to decode that error does not provide any detail information.

That error code means your disk drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

Once you have the replacement drive, read the information below about HP Could Recovery to be used to restore your PC to working condition:

If your PC is a 2016 model or newer, you should see if you can make a bootable USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool on a working PC.

The recovery drive can then be used to install Win10 and the HP drivers and utilities that originally came with your PC.

Here is the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

WAWood, thank you for your suggestions. My laptop is a 2014 model.

I'm still holding out for an HP (or other verifiable source) translation of my 24-digit failure code. Great importance is placed on providing this code when filling out the online information to contact HP Technical Support, so it must be critical to the technician's diagnosis. From a little research, I have learned that a Short DST failure could mean numerous things, running a gamut from HDD failure to potential HDD failure to an OS update glitch. At some point in the past, a hard-working HP developer assigned this code to a specific failure mode, and since I must be my own Support Technician (my laptop is out of warranty), I think it's important for me to know what that failure mode is before deciding on a course of action. I would pay for an HP support technician’s time (within an official HP Tech Support session), if he/she could provide the correct answer, but I can't find a way to contact that department with an out-of-warranty serial number. Does anyone on this forum know how to request a paid HP tech support session?

HP Recommended

@wackyjobber 

I do understand what you're after -- it's just that the tool we used provides no details other than to repeat that it is an error with the drive -- which you already know. We can't provide you information we do not have.

As to contact HP developers, even WE can not do that, sorry.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

To be precise, I did not express a desire to speak with an HP developer, just to a tech support technician. Anyone with an in-warranty HP laptop can do that for free, and the 24-digit failure code is requested in the online tech support access form.  Your signature tag states that you neither work for nor represent HP, so while I respect your history of assistance within the user forum, would you clarify for me who the We is when you say "...the tool we used..."?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.