Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-AB289SA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I have a startup issue with my laptop as when I press the turn on button the led on the button lights up for a split second then goes out. It started with this issue then suddenly started to load but when the Windows logo appeared it shut itself down. Then I managed to get into Windows a couple times and then shut itselft down. And now the initial issue has returned i.e. only the led on the button lights up for a few seconds.

What could be the issue? Is it definitely a hardware issue or software? Could it be the Bios or would a repair to Windows help?

Many thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Not sure how relevant it is but I managed to get into system diagnostics via Uefi and the memory test was fine while the hard drive test was performed only as a Smart check while long DST was not available.

HP Recommended

Hi@Istvan2, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand it's not booting to Windows.

If you recently installed an additional hard drive, turn off the computer and remove the drive before using the following steps: (Click here for details) 

• Open HP System Recovery: 

CAUTION: 

Please backup your data before proceeding further: 

• Press the F11 key repeatedly while the computer is starting. 

• If you have a recovery disc, turn on the PC and insert the first recovery disc into the drive. Use the disc to enter the system recovery. 

1. Select Microsoft Startup Repair tool and wait for the repair to find and fix errors. When finished, restart the computer; even if the startup repair tool finds errors but cannot fix them. 

2. If the error message persists, open the recovery manager screen as was done in step 1. 

3. At the recovery manager screen, press ALT + D. 

4. Enter the following text at the command prompt: bootrec /rebuildbcd 

5. If bootrec displays "Add installation to boot list?", press y. 

After bootrec completes successfully, the computer displays "The operation completed successfully". 

1. To close the command prompt, enter the following text: exit 

2. At the Recovery Manager screen, select Microsoft Startup Repair tool (again) and wait for startup repair to find and fix errors. When finished, restart the computer. 

3. The error should no longer open. If it does, perform a system recovery, making sure to backup important files. 

If you removed a hard drive before using these steps, replace the drive. If the error occurs again, make sure the additional hard drive is not set as an active drive. Only the main bootable drive should be set as active. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.