Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17-s043cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP ENVY laptop - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz, 816D (U3E1) Motherboard, Jan 2016 Born on Date, that has been in for HP warranty service twice for a keyboard lockup issue after which the Caps Lock light blinks 5 times (system board requires service). HP said they replaced the mobo during the second repair.

Six months later and out of warranty, it is now doing the same thing for a third time.

I think I have narrowed the cause down to static discharge. I am a professional "behind the curtain" tech director and PPT guy for large corporate shows. I have two of these computers (same exact models and mobos) side my side along with a ROC ASUS next to my on-air switcher. Anyone, not just me, can walk up to this computer and lock it up with a static discharge.

The same type of discharge does not affect the other two computers whether I'm in a convention center ballroom on carpet sitting at a table or in my office at a wooden desk on a hardwood floor.

Because the screen flickers during the static discharge, I first tried disabling the nVideo gfx chip then the Intel gfx chip and of course did mem tests and hd tests. I also installed new OS. No positive results.

If I approach the laptop and create a static spark as I touch the palm rest or screen bezel the keyboard locks up EVERY time.
The touch pad still works.
A blue tooth mouse still works.
I have even tested a blue tooth keyboard. It even worked after the lockup.
The laptop keyboard accepts no key presses.

The static discharge required to freeze this computer is not big. It's not a "oh my gosh that spark hurt" type of discharge from my finger.

Also, both HP ENVY computers have polished metal cases not plastic ones.

Besides wearing a grounding strap on my wrist when using this laptop does anyone have an idea how I can fix this issue?

Thanks for any suggestions.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @PMC_STUDIOS

Welcome to HP Support Forums. I have gone through your post and I understand your concerns and frustration

I have escalated your concerns to HP’s Support Team to review your case.  You should be contacted within 2 business days (this does not include weekends or holidays)

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended
KrazyToad, HP Support Agent,

It has been six business days since you escelated my concerns. No one has contacted me with additional input. Will someone be contacting me tomorrow?

Thanks
HP Recommended

Hi PMC_STUDIOS,

Please check the private message that was sent to you on Feb 24.   See top right corner.

Cheers,

Cheron

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Did you get an answer on this.. im starting to see it a lot and, while i can fix it by holding the power button down for like 20 seconds, i would like to know a long term fix.  thanks.

HP Recommended

HP offered me no fix for this computer defect since the laptop was out of warranty. They only gave me a $200 credit towards purchasing something off of their web store. No joy.

HP Recommended

I dismantled the laptop and cleaned all of the grounding lands I could find thinking that the static discharge was jumping a bad ground. It didn't fix the problem. My solution is to discharge my body on a ground next to my desk after I sit down at the computer but before I touch the computer. I can't work on this computer while sitting on a cushioned chair or couch without building up static electricity and locking up the computer. This laptop DID NOT have this problem until is came back from HP service for another issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.