Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion

The past few days my hp pavillion has been acting up and freezing before going to the blue error page. However it is usually resolved by a hard reboot or it wil automatically go to the Automatic Repair loading screen and fix itself.

Today it was randomly freezing every single time i started it and eventually it was stuck on a page asking to turn off pc or troubleshoot, neither of which solved the problem unless I restarted it. Then checking the HP support page, I decided to try Restoring BIOS, a grave mistake. Everything was fine until it got to the actual BIOS page, it is now stuck on INITIALIZING..  with a loud noise and nothing can stop it. 

My son got me this laptop a 2 years ago as a thing to keep me entertained during the lockdown. I have important work files saved as well. He told me to press the power button down for 10 seconds but it does not work. I am very afraid. 

This is a HP Pavillion on windows 10 but i am not sure of anything else. Please help me i am very worried and not good with technology.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Another update: after overheating an alarming rate, it shut down by itself (presumably due to charge running out, I believe) I dare not try switch it on again. Please help.

HP Recommended

@bfail 

My guess is that it is shutting down due to overheating -- and if that is the case, your immediate focus, since you apparently have not made backups of these important work files, is to back them off to USB as soon as possible.

You will have to use the laptop to do the backups -- there is no other way to do this.

So, how long does it stay on before it shuts down?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood

It was on for about an hour before it switched off, but even if i switch it on, im afraid itll go back to the BIOS INITIALIZING page and continue to overheat and maybe damage the internal parts. 

I have an USB but i am not sure on how to bring my laptop back to its regular starting page so i can back everything onto it. 

Thank you very Much. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.