Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I am in Airplane Mode and I cant navigate around the Windows Lock Screen, because I have no cursor. I also feel like it's important to mention that every 30 seconds or so, I hear a VERY faint sound in the background and I'll do my best at describing it. Sounds like a short strum of a xylophone, very quietly. I can't think of any other way to describe it...do you have any idea what I am talking about?

HP Recommended

I am in Airplane Mode and I cant navigate around the Windows Lock Screen, because I have no cursor. I also feel like it's important to mention that every 30 seconds or so, I hear a VERY faint sound in the background and I'll do my best at describing it. Sounds like a short strum of a xylophone, very quietly. I can't think of any other way to describe it...do you have any idea what I am talking about?

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't.

I'm glad I was able to get you access to your PC again.

Couple of things you should do...

Restart the PC (any way you can), tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get the menu of options.

There should be a F2 diagnostics option.

Run the hard drive test and see what it reports.

Post any failure code you get.

If the hard drive passes the test, and you are still stuck where you are now, I suggest that you try performing a factory reset by restarting the PC, tap the ESC key again, the same way and select the F11 system recovery options and reset the PC to its 'out of the box' condition.

And if that doesn't work either, clean install W10 as follows...

To reinstall W10...Use the Media Creation Tool.  Make the 64 bit installation media.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can make a W10 USB flash drive installer using an 8 GB flash drive using another Windows PC, since your PC is not working.

W10 will find the product key in the BIOS, install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Here are the steps to create the W10 USB flash drive installer...

1. Select Download tool now, and select Run.
  2. If you agree to the license terms, select Accept.
  3. On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next.
  4. Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10. You want 64 bit.

5. Select which media you want to use:
  6. USB flash drive.  Plug in a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space. Any content on the flash drive will be deleted.

After W10 installs, you can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-15-br000-x360-convertible-pc/15551167

HP Recommended

Should I do the "Extensive Test?"

HP Recommended

Okay, I went ahead and hit ESC then F11 and once I got to the "Choose an Option Screen," ( Continue, Use A Device, Troubleshoot or Turn Off PC) I couldn't navigate around that screen to choose an option, but I WAS ABLE to navigate when running the System Tests a few minutes ago...

HP Recommended

I recommend you run the extensive test.

If everything passes, and you get no failure codes, and if you can't factory reset the PC, use the method to reinstall W10 that I posted above.

HP Recommended

I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart, for helping me. This is the first HP Forum I've ever been on and I can't believe I waited so long to ask someone for help. You have no idea how grateful I am for your help. I've made more progress in 12 hours than I have in the past 3 months, so thank you doesn't begin to express my appreciation. 
Now, I ran the Extensive Test and everything passed. I went ahead and did a clean Install of Windows...not once, but twice. It's really weird, my keyboard and my touch pad lose functionality as soon as Windows is up...so, as soon as it prompts me for my PIN or Password, I have no way to navigate around the screen, but I plugged in my mouse to my laptop and it worked but I had to use the On Screen Keyboard to type my PIN and then it froze, so that prompted me to re -install Windows again, just in case I did something wrong the first time. But, same thing. I seem to lose keyboard and touch apd functionality, which prevent me from going further than the Login Screen in Windows. But while I was running the test, the touchpad worked fine. What on Earth am I doing wrong? Or do you have anymore advice as to how to get me completely recovered? 

HP Recommended

You're most welcome.

I wish I had a concrete solution for you but unfortunately, I don't.

Can you connect a USB keyboard too?

Then hopefully, you can install the chipset and touchpad drivers from the support page.

The other suggestion I have, is not to create any passwords or PINS until after you get W10 functioning normally.

You can always assign a P/W or PIN afterward in the Settings menu.

HP Recommended

What is it that I should do to get Windows functioning properly? Have I done everything that you can suggest at this point? I'm not sure where to go from here, are there steps or is there anything I can be doing to help Windows function the right way. I don't have a wireless keyboard on hand, but it wouldn't do much good, if I did. I made it through the Login screen and went into Settigs and then to Windows Update and there were about 15-20 items updating and then it went into the frozen state again. So, once Windows starts, I can get passed the Login screen but then where should I go? 

And, should I download any drivers that I might need, onto a USB and then into my Notebook, or if it'll  allow me to do it right on the Notebook, should I do it that way?
Sorry for all of the additional questions and information. You've already done so much. I just haven't met anyone who is as helpful as you have been and I am lost as to which way to go, now.

HP Recommended

Here is what I suggest.

As long as you can move around in Windows, install these drivers as soon as you can, and restart the PC.

Put them on a USB flash drive and run them from there if you have to.

Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver - Kaby Lake / Kaby Lake-R (Windows 10 v1709/v1803)

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp82501-83000/sp82749.exe

Elan Touchpad Driver (Windows 10 v1803)

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp87501-88000/sp87804.exe

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.