Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15-p030nr

So I picked up an old stock of 8 dusty laptops to renovate... and of course some had BIOS codes, fried batterys and toasted HDs

I was able to clear every one of the codes but this one... an HP 15-p030nr.  It seems to use some different algoritm.

At last boot and 3 failed attempts,  it showed

System Disabled

[EFC48A95]

Is anyone able to decrypt and supply the needed code for next boot up?

It seem to change each time, so I will just shut it down until l hear back.

Thanks

EDIT - After belatedly searching :Wink: it looks like my only option is to #1 pay and  probaly still have issues, or #2 tear it down and try the CMOS battery removal routine.  I will respond with my results after option #2 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, I successfully opened up and removed the CMOS battery for about 10 minutes, then upon reassembly I was able to carry on without the lockout.  SUCCESS!

Traps for new players include the hidden screws under the back rubber feet, then again under the black corner pieces... as well as a single screw in the middle of the back plate, hidden under a red sticky insert.

The CMOS battery is on the backside of the mainboard, as viewed with the laptop slitting upside down and hinge facing away.   But aside from all the ribbon and speaker connections, it is only held down by 3 screws... but remember to remove the WiFi card first.

I removed all connections, but in hindsight, if you are careful, one could probably leave most of the back ones and just lift the front edge of the mainboard enough to access the battery... it is on the front right of the main board, again as viewed with the laptop slitting upside down and hinge facing away. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @GunnerTech

Your laptop is producing a hexadecimal halt code which is stored in RAM as a 'one off' and as you have found, it is re-calculated after a reboot. You may still be able to remove the BIOS/power on password from the machine by removing the RTC cell/battery. However, it might be on not a very good place in your PC (place, not so easy to access).

It is recommended that you contact HP Support and ask them for the BIOS password removal:

>> https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

Hope this helps.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

OK, I successfully opened up and removed the CMOS battery for about 10 minutes, then upon reassembly I was able to carry on without the lockout.  SUCCESS!

Traps for new players include the hidden screws under the back rubber feet, then again under the black corner pieces... as well as a single screw in the middle of the back plate, hidden under a red sticky insert.

The CMOS battery is on the backside of the mainboard, as viewed with the laptop slitting upside down and hinge facing away.   But aside from all the ribbon and speaker connections, it is only held down by 3 screws... but remember to remove the WiFi card first.

I removed all connections, but in hindsight, if you are careful, one could probably leave most of the back ones and just lift the front edge of the mainboard enough to access the battery... it is on the front right of the main board, again as viewed with the laptop slitting upside down and hinge facing away. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.