Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have ran all the steps on the HP support site to try and fix this.

1. I have updated the Bios to the latest.
  2. I have ran diagnostics and nothing is showing failed.
  3. I have power reset my laptop.

My laptop is out of warranty now.

Is there any way that HP support can help me out with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well I have solved the issue now. Thanks to @WAWood for your help. Your troubleshooting really helped out. 

I got the tools from a friend at work. I took the back enclosure off and removed the battery. Looked at both fans and cleaned out all the dirt with a spray can. I found out that one was stuck and wasn't moving as easily as the other one. So I pushed it along and then sprayed the air can with it. Turned it on and saw both fans spinning. Put it back together and the error screen has disappeared. 

So I am very thankful that it was easy and no replacement yet.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@azrael77 

The actual "fix" depends on whether or not the fan actually works -- and only you can tell that by listening to the laptop as it runs and then doing some work that demands processing power, to see if the fan gets louder.

IF you can hear the fan and if it does get louder, then your fan is running properly and it's a fan sensor problem.  Since that is not something that can be fixed, your best bet is either to put up with the annoying notification or go into the BIOS settings and disable the setting for fan notifications.

If you can not hear the fan and it does not get louder, that indicates the fan is failing -- and if you don't then get it replaced, you run the risk of your laptop shutting down due to thermal overload.

Sorry, but this is just a self-help forum staffed mostly by volunteers and we are neither able, nor permitted, to provide any repair estimates or equipment prices.

For this information, you would need to contact an HP Repair or Service Center.

If you live in the U.S., here is a link to the HP Service Repair Centers:
https://www.service-center-locator.com/hp-hewlett-packard/hp-hewlett-packard-service-center.htm

If you live outside the U.S., here is a link to HP Service Centers, by Country/Region: https://support.hp.com/in-en/service-center

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. 

I did go into the bios and I enabled fans all the time. When it boots up I hear the fan start but then it stops and the error message shows up. Not sure if its the other fan because I think there are 2 fans in this laptop.

I hope to open it up and check out the fan and make sure there is no dirt or obstructions. 

HP Recommended

@azrael77 

If you try to open the case, you risk damaging the laptop -- and if you do that, any warranty is then voided.

You would do better getting one of those cans of compressed air from office supply stores and blowing air into the vents.  That will cause the fans to spin rapidly and should dislodge any particles on the fan or in the vents.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood

I have done that already. I got an air can and sprayed everywhere I can. Its a very thin laptop so there it is difficult to get the spray the air close to the fan. 

HP Recommended

Well I have solved the issue now. Thanks to @WAWood for your help. Your troubleshooting really helped out. 

I got the tools from a friend at work. I took the back enclosure off and removed the battery. Looked at both fans and cleaned out all the dirt with a spray can. I found out that one was stuck and wasn't moving as easily as the other one. So I pushed it along and then sprayed the air can with it. Turned it on and saw both fans spinning. Put it back together and the error screen has disappeared. 

So I am very thankful that it was easy and no replacement yet.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.