Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Ultrabook 6-1206ed
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to change the order of startup to be able to start from a USB stick in case of troubles.

However my screen has been broken and I only can see programms on the second screen connected via HDMI.

The UEFI settings can only be seen on the first screen.

Has anyone an idea how to show these  on a second screen.

Regards,

Dutch Grandpa

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DutchGrandpa 

Sorry, but as far as I know, this is not possible -- because the second screen only works after the Windows drivers for it are loaded, and that is after Windows starts.  Before that, you can only see the built-on  screen.  This is the main reason folks can't replace the built-in screen with an external screen.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@DutchGrandpa 

Sorry, but as far as I know, this is not possible -- because the second screen only works after the Windows drivers for it are loaded, and that is after Windows starts.  Before that, you can only see the built-on  screen.  This is the main reason folks can't replace the built-in screen with an external screen.

HP Recommended

I want to start my laptop with a selfstarting USB stick.

Can I change this by entering the following keystrokes:

1. Turn on latop and press ESC

2. Press F9

3. Press DOWN with arrow key

4. Press Enter

As I cannot see the UEFI screen I want to be sure that I press the right buttons.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dutch grandpa

HP Recommended

@DutchGrandpa 

That is the right sequence -- but once you get the Boot Menu, you would need to guess at where in the list your boot USB stick resides.  It's usually the bottom of the list.  So, you might have to do this repeatedly until it finally selects the USB stick.

Good Luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.