Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 14
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer crashed out of nowhere and it refuses to start again and I get this message on a black screen that says I need my Windows Installation disc to start my computer again but I don't have the disc with me anymore. What can I do to start my computer? I'm a university student and all my work is being done on the computer, and I feel helpless without it. Please let me know of a way I can try to fix this. 

Thank you so much.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi:

Make a bootable W10 installation USB flash drive with the Media creation tool from the link below.

You will need to have access to another Windows PC to create the installation media.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Boot from the flash drive and when you get to the 'Install Now' screen, on the lower left side of the window, there will be a 'Repair your computer' option to select.

Watch this video...

How to Boot or Repair Windows 10 using the Installation Media - YouTube

If the automated repair option could not fix the problem, see how to use the command prompt for additional repair options such as the bootrec/fixMbr command.

How to Boot or Repair Windows computer using the Installation Media (thewindowsclub.com)

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the response! I will try this and update you on how it worked!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

HP Recommended

Hi, sorry to keep replying again and again, but I'm having trouble loading the file onto my USB stick. I have enough space for the iso file, but it refuses to download past 4GB, is there a reason for that? Thank you so much in advance!

HP Recommended

Hi:

Are you using the Create a USB installer option?

That should make the bootable USB flash drive automatically.

If that is the option you are using, unfortunately I wouldn't know why it isn't completing.

HP Recommended

I don't see a Create a USB installer option, it just downloads as "All files" 😕

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Oh thank you so much! After I make the bootable USB, do I still need to download Windows 10 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO ?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

The tool will automatically download W10, and create the bootable USB installer for you. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.