Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360
Linux

Since I bought my HP Pavilion x360 two years ago in Italy, I had no problem.

But now having installed Ubuntu 16.04 along with Windows10, I’m experiencing (as many others in my conditions) the impossibility to choose Ubuntu as default operating system at startup because HP Boot Manager always loads Windows 10.

To reach my purpose now, what I do is to reach Boot Manager at startup with ESC + F9 and choose Ubuntu every time I need, which is quite annoying.

Since is the PC owner right to use his preferred OS (as other pc manufacturers admit and allow) please let me know the solution to this issue.

Other malfunction to report is that in my PC the Menu - HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) is in a foreign language (I suppose Hungarian ?) instead of Italian or English, so I cannot use it in case of need. Would be nice to have an update to solve the problem.

Thanks and Best Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello everybody, to whom may concern I inform you that I found the solution to the 2 problems cited in my first post 06-08-2018.

Ubuntu Choice at startup

To have Ubuntu as OS to start first, do the following:

Switch-on your PC and with appropriate key enter Startup Menu;

Select (F10) Bios Setup and from there go to System Configuration-UEFI Boot Order-OS Boot Manager. Here you can select Ubuntu OS which will run first at next boot.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI

If you have installed the Version 6.0.2.0 and for any reason it runs in an unknown language, scroll down till the bottom (Exit) and then up one position to reach Language key to select your desired language.

Regards

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Ub_18, welcome to the forum.

This is not a HP hardware issue.  Windows is making the determination of which OS will boot.  I suggest that you go to www.ubuntuforums.org for help with solving your problem.  They are the experts on Ubuntu and should be able to help you easily solve your problem.

I dual booted for years with Ubuntu and Windows.  When I had a problem I used the Ubuntu Forums to help solve it.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hello old_geekster, before installing Ubuntu on my HP, I did it successfully on other 3 different brand PC’s and everything run smoothly. Of course in the beginning I tought was an Ubuntu issue so following 3 threads suggesting solutions I implemented them but none of them gave me the expected result.

The reason according to me is quite clear: when you start a PC the first control is taken by the Firmware-Bios-Uefi. In my HP Pavilion x360 the control program in this stage is the Boot Manager that has 3 options: Windows Boot Manager; Ubuntu; Boot from EFI file.

As I experienced the problem is that there is no way to set which of the 3 options should be used as Starting OS unless you do manually everytime at starting (entering Boot Manager with Esc + F9 to open Boot Option Menu and choosing Ubuntu).

Only at this stage the OS (Win or Ubuntu) takes over.

If I’m right would be very simple for HP to release a firmware update to keep in memory the last manually chosen OS to start with.

I'm looking forward to receive other risolutive answers...

HP Recommended

@Ub_18

If I’m right would be very simple for HP to release a firmware update to keep in memory the last manually chosen OS to start with.

Firmware updates are not as simply as you imply.  They are very complicated because they have to deal with so many unknowns.  Also, HP is not in the business of making their computers compatible with every single whim that we as computer users can dream up.  They have to keep their BIOS's as uncomplicated as possible.  Most of the users are not as knowledgeable as you seem to be.  Since I have used Ubuntu for years, I have no doubt that someone on Ubuntu Forums will have a Solution for your problem.  As I said, they live Ubuntu every day.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hello everybody, to whom may concern I inform you that I found the solution to the 2 problems cited in my first post 06-08-2018.

Ubuntu Choice at startup

To have Ubuntu as OS to start first, do the following:

Switch-on your PC and with appropriate key enter Startup Menu;

Select (F10) Bios Setup and from there go to System Configuration-UEFI Boot Order-OS Boot Manager. Here you can select Ubuntu OS which will run first at next boot.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI

If you have installed the Version 6.0.2.0 and for any reason it runs in an unknown language, scroll down till the bottom (Exit) and then up one position to reach Language key to select your desired language.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.