Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 11-d010wm
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

On startup my computer displays a blue screen that says "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed." "Error code 0xc0000225." "You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media." (see picture)

I ordered a recovery USB from HP and received it today.  

I'm unable to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the computer will boot from USB.  I  have disabled Secure Boot and enabled Legacy Support.  I have changed the boot order on both UEFI and Legacy, pressing F10 to save and exit.  (see picture)

My boot options do not change. (see picture)

Thanks for your help!

JoeOriginal Error ScreenOriginal Error ScreenBIOS with ChangesBIOS with ChangesSaving ChangesSaving ChangesNo Change to Boot OptionsNo Change to Boot Options

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The settings look OK.

What happens when you restart the PC, tap the ESC key immediately at the beginning of the HP welcome screen and select the F9 boot options menu?

With legacy mode enabled and secure boot enabled, you should be able to choose the legacy boot options after pressing the F9 key and from that you would select the USB Diskette on key/USB hard drive and press the enter key.

If the legacy boot options menu does not show up after pressing the F9 key, unfortunately I don't have any idea what the issue could be.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

When I  restart the PC, tap the ESC key immediately at the beginning of the HP welcome screen and select the F9 boot options menu, I get the three options in the picture I posted:

OS Boot Manager (UEFI) - Windows Boot Manager (MBG4GC)

Boot From EFI File

Notebook Hard Drive (MBG4GC)

This is after enabling legacy and changing the boot order.

It appears the BIOS accepts the change to enable legacy but does not accept the change that I make to the boot order.

Do you think there might be something wrong with the BIOS?

I appreciate your help.

Joe

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Joe.

There must be something wrong with the BIOS, because you don't ever need to change the boot order.

That is why they have an F9 boot options menu, so you can select the one time boot option of a device.

What happens if you go back and disable legacy mode, and select to boot from EFI file?

Maybe the USB recovery drive is set up to boot both ways...legacy or EFI

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.