Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8460P
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! My laptop's original motherboard died and i replaced with a used one and now i'm getting stuck at the "System Diagnostics" menu. I'm also getting the boot not found error,  

I need access the BIOS. I've tryed some tutorials that asked to unplug the Cmos battery and pressing the power button but, i had no success. 

I hope someone can save me.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Will_Oliveira 

Anything that told you to remove the CMOS battery in a laptop was false information that wasted your time.

Sounds to me like the used motherboard is faulty -- a fairly common issue because these are taken from scrapped devices.

The boot not found issue is often due to a failing drive.

So, let's check that first, because if it is failing, it would need to be replaced and there is no point then in doing anything else until we confirm that.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the HDD (Hard Disk Drive): http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the HDD you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu
3) Press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

If the drive checks out OK, then report that and I can provide you options for reinstalling Windows on your PC.

Please note that if your model has an SSD instead of an HDD, these diagnostics might not work properly.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Sorry, i forgot to put that information. I already tested my SSD it's ok. I this exact momento i'm trying to make a flash drive to update the Bios, but i don't know if i'm doing correctly. I downloaded a file from HP support website and this file makes a folder with a bunch of other files. I need to know if i just copy them to the pendrive?

Thank you for your reply.

HP Recommended

@Will_Oliveira 

Why are you so determined to do something that risks bricking your PC, without any indication that it is going to fix anything?

BIOS updates are not miracle cures and should only be applied with the update fixes a known specific problem you are having.

So, what is the problem and how do you know a BIOS update is going to fix it?

HP Recommended

I don't know if is going to fix it but, i've searched every where and the only thing that was recomended was Bios Update.

I don't know what else can i do. What do you sugest? 

HP Recommended

@Will_Oliveira 

BIOS updates are done for SPECIFIC reasons, not just because the laptop is having issues. You risk bricking your laptop doing this -- and there is no reason at all to supposed that will fix this problem.  But, that does not prove it will not. So, if you are willing to take the risk, then it is up to you.

The underlying problem is that you have a USED motherboard, and since there are no diagnostics to check this out, any number of issues could be there which (1) you can not determine and (2) you can not fix.  We have no way to identify or fix motherboard issues, nor do you.  So basically, you are stumbling around in the dark hoping anything will work -- which I clearly understand -- but there is noting we can provide you to shed light on the issues.

HP Recommended

Ok, thank you. I will try to talk to the seller and get my money back.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.