Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ3250IX
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

I am not able to access the BIOS settings on my Compaq desktop. When I press F10 on startup, I get a black screen asking me to enter password. I think I might've set a BIOS password long time ago that I don't remember now. Is there a way to remove/reset the BIOS password so I can access my PC's BIOS settings? I contacted the nearby HP Service Centre but the person there didn't know how to reset the password.

The black screen only takes 6 characters as input so I'm assuming it is expecting a 6 character password.

Model: CQ3250IX

Product number: AY657AA#ACJ

Serial number: [Personal Information Removed]

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@AbhijeetSingh1 

In terms of removing a BIOS password you have forgotten -- NO, there is no way to do that.. That's why it is very important to write down such passwords.

HP does not reset passwords on existing motherboards; instead, they require the replacement of the entire motherboard because the BIOS password is encoded into a chip soldered to the motherboard, and since that chip is not replaceable, their policy is to replace the entire board.

This is VERY expensive and, even if they agree to do it, which they likely will NOT, it will cost more than simply replacing the laptop.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.