Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
13-ae014dx

I've downloaded the latest F.22 bios and flashed it to USB drive, however the laptop does not boot (or even find) the USB key.

Checked both in bios settings and in the boot menu.

The USB drive is detected in OS and the files can be browsed.

Any idea what should be checked?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Normally, you should be able to boot from a USB flash drive without changing any BIS settings, but sometimes you have to.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to go into the BIOS, and enable Legacy mode.

That should allow you to boot from a USB flash drive or a DVD.

See this link for more information...

https://www.support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03736054/

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

Looking at the file description on the download page, here is what it indicates...

This package contains the WinFlash utility and a system BIOS image for the supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. The WinFlash utility is used to locally flash the system BIOS (ROM) on notebooks operating in a Microsoft Windows environment.

I take that to mean that you can only flash the BIOS in Windows.

I tried to explore the file contents using 7-Zip, and the file will not extract for me to see any internal files.

HP Recommended

I've tried booting same USB freshly formatted to FreeDOS, the laptop still unable to find the key and boot from it.

Any setting in USB which might be preventing this?

HP Recommended

Normally, you should be able to boot from a USB flash drive without changing any BIS settings, but sometimes you have to.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to go into the BIOS, and enable Legacy mode.

That should allow you to boot from a USB flash drive or a DVD.

See this link for more information...

https://www.support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03736054/

HP Recommended

Worked for me after reformatting the partition using WinToUSB.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.