8 5 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Unable to boot from disk after adding new HDD to existing SSD

HP Recommended
Envy 15
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I just installed a new 2TB HDD to my existing 1TB SSD on which win 8.1 has been smoothly running. After that, Windows refuse to boot automatically (boot device not found - hard disk (3f0) error). I have tried many options in BIOS, but the only way how to boot is to enable legacy boot mode, select boot from EFI file in boot manager and navigate to efi file. If I select boot from harddrive, "No boot device found" jumps on me.  After manual boot, everything works as before, new disk is detected and working.

In good old days, one was able to select from which disk windows should boot. I am not able to select it in HP BIOS.Can you help me with solving this issue please? I really do not want to boot manually for the rest of the machine's life 🙂 Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 8
1,263 1,227 38 106
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't understand.

So this new HDD has Windows installed as well?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nope. Windows is only installed on SSD. New HDD is absolutely empty. I boot by manually selecting efi file on SSD in boot menu (F9 after power on).

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation