Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy 15
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I just installed a new 2TB HDD to my existing 1TB SSD on which win 8.1 has been smoothly running. After that, Windows refuse to boot automatically (boot device not found - hard disk (3f0) error). I have tried many options in BIOS, but the only way how to boot is to enable legacy boot mode, select boot from EFI file in boot manager and navigate to efi file. If I select boot from harddrive, "No boot device found" jumps on me.  After manual boot, everything works as before, new disk is detected and working.

In good old days, one was able to select from which disk windows should boot. I am not able to select it in HP BIOS.Can you help me with solving this issue please? I really do not want to boot manually for the rest of the machine's life 🙂 Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I don't understand.

So this new HDD has Windows installed as well?

HP Recommended

Nope. Windows is only installed on SSD. New HDD is absolutely empty. I boot by manually selecting efi file on SSD in boot menu (F9 after power on).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.