Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
probook 450
Linux

I'm currently unable to boot my probook 450 from a usb. The computer is currently dual booted with Ubuntu 18.04 and Windows 10, however I am attempting to remove my Windows partition so that Ubuntu is the only OS installed. I've already created a bootable usb with GParted Live which should allow me to make the change easily, however whenever I attempt to boot from the usb it instead boots with the normal boot process.

I have already changed my bios settings so that secure boot is disabled and legacy boot is enabled. I have changed the boot order so that the usb options are at the start, however this changed nothing.

I have also already tried hitting F9 when rebooting and can manually select to boot from the usb drive, however selecting this option still boots from the normal process as though I had never opened the menu.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@jmal116 

My guess would be that the Gparted USB stick is not really bootable.  Have you tried it in another PC?

Also, didn't you have to boot previously from an Ubuntu USB stick to install that? If so, try rebooting from that.  IF that works, then the GParted stick is faulty.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I was able to boot from that usb on my other laptop (dell inspiron running windows 10) without any issue.

When I installed linux initially I recall running into this same issue. At the time I was able to work around it because I happened to have some blank CD's lying around, and I used one of those.

I also tried booting it on my hp laptop just in case, however it still doesn't work.

HP Recommended

OK, so if the Gparted USB stick boots in another PC, then my guess would be that the HP laptop has Secure Boot enabled, which would prevent it from booting from other than the Windows OS -- but you said it would boot from a CD, so that rules that out.

I used an Elitebook for a while, and I had a terrible time getting it to boot from USB. Sometimes, I held down the Esc key and even though the laptop beeped furiously, it would nonetheless boot from the USB.  Other times, that did not work and I hit the Esc key repeatedly, as rapidly as I could, and that would work -- sometimes.

All you can do is keep trying -- I don't know of any solution that is guaranteed to work.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.