Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Why can't I change my UEFI boot order? I want to boot first from CD/DVD, then USB stick, then HDD if neither is loaded. When I go into the BIOS setup, it is simple to change the boot order. However, my system always uses the UEFI boot order, which I have been unable to change. I think that I should enable legacy boot, but when I choose that, I get a warning message. Would I render my laptop unbootable if I did enable legacy boot? My system is working, and I don't want to crash it, just change the boot order.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

HP laptops use F9 to change boot option-each time you want to change it. Immediately after powering on start tapping the Esc key. From the menu that appears you will see F9 Boot options. Tap F9 and use the arrow keys to move down and highlight/select desired boot device. Next tap Enter key.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I'm still unable to boot from DVD or USB. When I follow this procedure, the only options offered are Windows Boot Manager and EFI File. Choosing the first just boots from the HDD normally into Windows 10. I hesitate to choose the 2nd option, since I have no idea what that is.

When I attempt to change boot order in BIOS, I can't change the UEFI boot order, which overrides any changes I make in boot devices above it. The OS boot manager is selected by default, and I can't change it. I believe that enabling legacy boot will overcome that, but I don't want to try unless I am told that it won't crash my laptop. Whan I try to enable it, I get a warning message, so I cancelled out of that.

HP Recommended

Did you enable Legacy boot?

HP Recommended

That's what I want to do, but when I select that, I get a warning message. Could this possibly make my laptop unbootable?

HP Recommended

Enabling Legacy does sometimes cause Windows not to boot. Only enable it  when needed and then select boot from CD/DVD or USB using F9 key.

HP Recommended

Reboot and esc - press F11 for system recovery - select language and keyboard - select CD ROM from there to boot

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.