cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Unable to use RAM completely 5.92 usable out of 8 gb

HP Recommended
hp-15s-eq0024au with Ryzen5 3500u 3rd gen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have purchased a hp laptop 15 days ago. product name (hp-15s-eq0024au with 8gb ram Ryzen5 3500u Radeon Vega 8 Graphics). When i see basic information about my system. I saw that the installed memory (RAM) is 8gb but only 5.92 gb is usable. Where is my 2gb memory? Perhaps it is for integrated graphics card. But i want to use my complete memory. Then i go for some youtube tutorials to fix that. I have done 1st step which is go to msconfig (to go in system configuration) and completed this process. But it doesn't work for me. 2nd thing i have done is to go in advanced system settings > performance options> virtual memory i have done this step also but it also doesn't work for me. Now i will go for 3rd and final step i.e. to go to boot menu > advanced > chipset settings and change settings of graphics but i didn't find chipset settings or graphics settings in my boot menu. My boot menu don't have chipset settings. Is there any option available to go in extra more settings. How can i access chipset settings. My hp-15s-eq0024au don't have chipset settings in its boot menu. Can anyone help me here please? I don't want to give 2gb memory for graphics. 2gb is not small amount. 

IMG20200927162251.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
122,898 113,079 18,192 27,765
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

The 5.92 usable out of 8 GB was an intentional design.

HP released this document a while back, which explains the memory shortage...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06526774

This seems to only apply to models with AMD Ryzen processors.

Info on Microsoft PlayReady.

https://www.microsoft.com/playready/overview/

Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok thank you Paul_Tikkanen for giving info about microsoft playready. That is why processor reserves memory. Can i change reserved memory size? Is it changeable by updating bios? Or the final solution for this is when i need more memory i need to buy more ram.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
122,898 113,079 18,192 27,765
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

There aren't any ways that I know of or have read on this forum to change any BIOS settings to be able to use more memory.

You have hit upon the only solution I can think of...add more memory.

Below is the link to the Crucial memory report for your notebook.

https://www.crucial.in/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-15s-eq0024au

It has two memory slots and you can install a max of 2 x 16 GB of memory.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation