Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Probook 6570b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When my WD Mybook 1130 is connected to a USB 3.0 port, my Probook will not boot.  Here is the exact sequence that this occurs:

I am running my notebook, and connect the WD drive.  

The drive is recognized, installs, and is fully functional.

I put my notebook in Sleep mode (or I shut it down)

When I press the power button on the notebook,  the boot screen is shown, with "press esc for boot options" and it remains there, non functional.   It will not boot or respond to keystrokes--except the power button, which turns it off.

If I disconnect the WD drive, then press the power button, the notebook boots normally.

So, is this a HP problem, a USB 3.0 problem, or a WD Mybook drive problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I understand -- and I have the same situation.  If I connect my external WD passport, the laptop will not boot.  But if I connect other drives, it will.

There is some conflict between the WD drives that prevents the laptops from booting.

Sorry, but I've been unable to find a "fix" for this.

Good Luck

========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Please click "Accept As Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on the left of the Reply button to say thanks fopr my help.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

don48624

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about not being able to boot when the WD drive is connected and wanted to help.

This is a common problem with some PCs in that they are trying to boot from that drive, and since it is not bootable, your boot process hangs until you disconnect the drive.

I've also run into this, and the only solutions I have found are these:

1) Reformat the drive using GPT -- evidently this stops the PC from trying to boot from the drive

2) Have the drive disconnected when you boot

Sorry, but that's all I've been able to find on this problem.

Good Luck

If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the welcome!  Since the drive is full of data, I'm not going to reformat just now...and disconnecting it does eliminate the problem.  I tried changing the bios so that usb boot is not an option, but that did not solve the problem.  I have another usb 2.0 drive attached to a different usb port and that does not cause problems.

HP Recommended

I understand -- and I have the same situation.  If I connect my external WD passport, the laptop will not boot.  But if I connect other drives, it will.

There is some conflict between the WD drives that prevents the laptops from booting.

Sorry, but I've been unable to find a "fix" for this.

Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------
Please click "Accept As Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on the left of the Reply button to say thanks fopr my help.

HP Recommended

Hey there don48624 🙂

Do the other drives (the ones that do not cause problems) also feature hardware encryption? Although this shouldn't affect anything in this situation it may point in the right direction. Do you have your latest BIOS update and OS and driver updates? Is the drive using the MBR or the GPT partitioning style? As WAWood suggested, using the GPT partitioning style should fix the issue. 🙂

Captain_WD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.