Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13-ae0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Once per minute when second counter is at :00  explorer.exe shows a spike in cpu utilization and computer hangs.  The length of time it hangs varies but appears to increase with the length of time the computer is in use.  Usually its a few seconds but ranges up.  Parts of windows will flash and if typing text it will not display the characters until the hang is done.  

Windows 10 Home version 2004 OS build 19041.867 

HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I have not heard back from HP to begin my case - are they still in the biz?

Case number 5064665019 has been created CRM:0000498873851

HP Recommended

This seems to actually be a forums to actually converse and potentially be offered help from your fellow HP owners, who may also be experiencing, or have experienced previously in the past, the same occurrence of issues as another posting user.

Explorer.exe is Window's file viewer tool. Most of the time, when your PC is crashing due to an error involved with Explorer.exe, if your computer even functions after signing in to even be able to check, by pressing Ctrl+Shift+ESC for example to open straight up into the Task Manager window, you'll typically see it growing in size until it exhausts all your available resources and eventually crashes.

It can originate due to various different reasons, but no matter what the case is, it's something to do with Windows, such as some kind of Registry errors which were evaluated recently and produced unlikable entries, or somehow you just happened to experience corruption within important Windows files, labeling this more better suited as an Operating System issue.

You definitely have at least two separate options that could possibly help you however, and that's just what I know could fix the issue potentially:
1. If it is possible for you to get into your Settings > Check for Updates and install them. The updates could and should fix the issue. You might also want to possibly to try booting up and going through Safe Mode with Networking as an option as well.
2. If you press ESC or some similarly available @boot-up option to open up a menu, you should have some helpful assistance in these windows relating to something along the lines of "Fix Errors" or the similar, which is a likely option.
3. Worst case scenario, Windows 10 Media Creation Tool should be of some kind of assistance. Create a boot disk containing the software available freely at their domain, you should be able to boot via the appropriate drive, and traverse through the given options until you run into one containing an option to "Update Windows but Keep Personal Files." Select that option and it should reinstall Windows and fix any and all Window's errors that might be causing the issue.
No matter the cause or option taken, whether you wait for an HP Rep or attempt my suggestions, make sure you Check For Updates and Install whenever you have a chance. Updates are very important.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response. 

This has been going on for a almost a year now through many updates of windows and drivers.   I have run the diagnostics tools multiple times and find no errors when accessing the boot up utilities.

The behavior of explorer.exe is only the most obvious symptom.  I think it not likely the cause due to the way the video is interrupted as seen with the repainting behavior.  I suspect its  lower level, such as a driver thats doing some housekeeping.  If it was something with the OS or registry the behavior would be repeated consistently but its not.  The time of lag/hang starts small and increases.  Maybe related to heat since that would always tend to increase with usage.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.