Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840g2 (6070b0676603 rev:1.04)
FreeDOS

Hi all! I bought a used laptop from a reseller on ebay. As the laptop got it, the fan rotated constantly to a maximum. The laptop is turned on with a delay of 10-20 seconds. It could not solve this problem for a long time. I read on the Internet that I need to update the BIOS microprogram. After updating the bios, everything has come to fruition, but when I turn on the laptop, the message is always displayed: "Warning!!! machine is not in committed state". Has read what the HP MeBrand Tools 14 program should help. Where can I download it? Tell me please. Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi

I am very wary of giving any help, research suggests ...

What has happened here is that through some mechanism or process, critical product branding and security information in thr SMBIOS tables has been wiped out.  This data is used for a variety of functions during the System Validation and Startup Service Check phases, as well as by operating systems and applications that run later.  Just installing Windows 10 or a Linux distro wouldn't be enough to zap it... something had to happen to wipe it out for whatever reason, and I'm very sorry that this has happened to you.

That being said, Amreen's response was correct in that replacement boards installed by our service technicians are sent out unprogrammed... with the technicians responsible for programming them correctly before leaving the customer site (or before they leave the repair bench).  His response was based on those times where a technician  quite simply... forgets.  It's a bad thing, but that is exactly why we have that check in BIOS.

Now, to the second part of your question: how can you fix it?  The answer is, you really can't.  There are two reasons:

• The configuration ID would be specific to your specific model of 8440p.
  • Changing and committing information at this level requires the system to be unlocked for reprogramming with a digitally signed System Management Command (SMC) file.  This is unique to each system UUID, and is generated at the time of need by HP Service as part of the service call.  Without that file, the information can't be reprogrammed.

I hope this information helps.  All I could suggest to you is to contact HP service and support.  One thing that you might try doing is contact HP Service and Support for your region / country and explain that you don't think you need a new system board, you just need it reprogrammed.  There might still be a cost involved, but it would be less than the cost of a new board.

DISCLAIMER: I am an HP employee, but I am not a spokesperson for HP.

• If you found this information helpful, please take a moment to click on "Accept as Solution".
  • If you'd like to say thanks, please click on the "thumbs up" icon to give me Kudos!

https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/diagnostics

http://www.compit.se/?p=206

HP Recommended

Would you think this helps anyone 🙄

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.