Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eliza2020
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

What happens if I change the active drive?

ProBook G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just changed my active partition from the "system" partition to drive C. Will it cause any issues?

Once I was asked by BIOS to restore the MBR, I chose option 2 and overwrote HDD MBR with the backup MBR and now the Windows is working properly. Is it dangerous to change the active partition from the "System" partition? Why is it marked as (Disk 0, Partition 2)? Is it possible to use the space in this partition?

P.S. The original OS on my laptop was DOS.Community Question.jpg

1 REPLY 1
Level 15
Level 15
18,961 18,903 1,764 4,176
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

What happens if I change the active drive?

@Eliza2020 

For MS Windows, the "active" partition MUST be the one that contains the Windows boot loader files -- and on OEM PCs, this is generally something known as System Reserved, as on those PCs, the OS partition usually does not contain the boot loader files.

Those files are in a hidden "boot" folder.

If you change your active partition to something else, unless the boot loader files are ALSO on that partition, MS Windows will no longer boot.

You shouldn't be messing around with partition properties unless you know what you are doing.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation