Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy 17 notebook J011-nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This computer was new with Windows 8.  Upgraded to 8.1 then went to Windows 10.

I am trying to set up a dual boot system with Windows and Linux Mint.  I have turned off fast boot but cannot turn off secure boot.  Before partioning the HD, I downloaded and installed the most recent download for the Bios/UEFI from HP.  Now everytime I turn off secure boot and hit "Save and Exit", it reverts back to secure boot being on. 

With secure boot, Linux will not run because not all Linux Distros have the signatures required to have a dual boot system running secure boot and rather than having to dig into the UEFI settings, I'm at a loss for what to do.  I thought it was required that OEM's include secure boot for Windows but the consumer/customer could turn it off if they want.  

Is there something I am missing?  Some other reason secure boot won't turn off?  Can I revert back to a previous bios setup to enable me to turn off secure boot and leave it off?

Thank you in advance for any help.

TomR6

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your welcome.

All the best,

David

Click on thumbs up for thanks

Click on accept as solution if answered question

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try setting a supervisor password in BIOS and then reboot and enter the Uefi Bios again and try disabling secure boot.

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

It may take a while to do this as I am in the middle of several other projects.  However, I will let you know if this works.  

If I may ask, what does setting a supervisory password for the Bios have to do with changing a setting?

Thanks for your input.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am not sure this will work with HP notebook. However some notebooks such as some of Acer will not even allow to change secure boot (greyed out) without a supervisor password being set in Bios. Since the Bios (InsydeH2O) is also common on HP products I thought it is worth a try. I guess this is done for security reasons or to please Microsoft.

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

David,

As I said, it will probably be tomorrow (Sunday) before I can try this.

Before I downloaded and installed that latest Bios update, I was able to turn off secure boot.  After I disabled secure boot I was notified by HP to update the Bios.  I did and then that is when the secure boot turned on and now cannot be turned off.  The secure boot option was never gray.  I used F5 to change it and after hitting save and exit, that is when it reverted to being enabled.  

I will try your suggestion and let you know what happens.

Thanks,

Tom

HP Recommended

Thank you David,

Sorry for the delay.  Had a few crashes on Windows and had to do some other things but your suggestion for the password worked.  I was able to turn off secure boot.  I have not touched anything else since but I will check everything in a few days.

Hopefully, all will be well.

Thanks again and sorry it took so long to get back.

HP Recommended

Your welcome.

All the best,

David

Click on thumbs up for thanks

Click on accept as solution if answered question

HP Recommended

This didn't solve my problem and I've updated the BIOS as well.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

When prompted to enter 4 digit code on reboot, make sure the numbers you are entering are being echoed.  I was using the number pad (without the num lock), the system beeped and I didn't know the numbers would be echoed to screen.

I called HP Eliete support, but they would not help me.  I was trying to do a Win 7 recovery, they said since it is end of support later this year they would not help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.