cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Will Disabling Secure Boot Make You Loose Your Current OS?

HP Spectre x360 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I flashed an older version of windows on my USB Stick, which I want to access on my laptop temporarily. However, the USB Stick does not get recognized in the boot manager. I heard that I needed to disable secure boot so I can boot from the USB. My question is if I boot from my USB stick, can I afterwards plug out the USB and boot from my current OS (Windows 10, 64-Bit) like before without losing any files? Also, will I be able to enable secure boot afterwards?

Thank you for your Help.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
20,712 20,657 1,898 4,546
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Will Disabling Secure Boot Make You Loose Your Current OS?

@Vetorix 

Techincally NO, that does not remove or disable the current OS installation.

What does disable it is changing the boot mode from UEFI to MBR, and vice=versa, because the boot mode has to remain the same one that was in place with the OS was first installed.

What MIGHT happen though (and I can not test this because I do not have a UEFI machine) is if you can even boot after disabling secure-boot.

Additionally, some of the newer PCs with both Secure-Boot and UEFI have the option to boot from portable devices DISABLED by default.  You should look through your BIOS settings and see if this is the case with yours before you try to boot from USB.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation