Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 14 :L1J93P
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

window problem.jpg

Hi, my window keep stuck at the startup screen with the messaage "Updating your system(0%)"

Recently, I had perform the winodw update with 160 window updates. After I had download and installed the window updates, it prompt me restart. So I restart my laptop and it keep stuck at the "Updating your system(0%)" for 12 hours. So I let it waited for 12 hours, and it still 0 % progress. So, I do a hard reset , and it still stuck at 0 % for another 6 hours. Then I do a factory reset setting, and perform the update again, it still stuck at 0 % again for another 10 hours. May I know what is the problem going on? I had to install the window update, in order to prevent the wanna cry ransomware spread to my laptop, or else I will forever vunerable to the attack.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @Tionggor

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

What happens is that some update fails to install (some of these many updates is either buggy or somehow incompatible with the system - e.g. with 3rd party app/driver) and Microsoft cannot complete the update process successfully.

All you can do is to perform the recovery again.

Ensure no 3rd party security products are installed - no McAfee, no Norton, no 3rd party firewalls or antivirus - just Windows Defender and Windows Firewall enabled

Try to install the updates on batches (e.g. install 10, reboot, install another 10, reboot) You may eventually reach to the point where some batch of these 10 fails to install but later you can restore back using System Restore so that you skip some of these 10.

With regards to Wanna Cry ransomware - this is an old story now - it does not spead actively now in the wild, I mean it is not a massive spread now. Wanna Cry is 2 parts - ransomware (encryption of your personal files inside your PC) which may come via email or web   and  SMB protocol exploit/vulnerability  which helps the virus spread additionally via network. This SMB exploit can be used for other malicious/viral activities, not only Ransomware.

If you want, you can manually install only Security related updates for Windows

The SMB update (with regards to the Wanna Cry) can be installed alone from here >> https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms17-010.aspx

Select your Windows version/edition and download manually.

Any good firewall (best would be 3rd party firewall) can protect against any SMB exploit. If your PC is alone or is workstation, then your PC does NOT need to share files or resourses. Files or resourses are shared by servers or PCs acting as servers. Therefore, your PC should be configured to block ANY incoming connection. The firewall should be set to block any incoming connection. Unfortunately, the default configuration of most firewalls (even Windows Firewall) is not configured this way.

I stronly recommend you ESET security products (specially ESET Internet Security or ESET Smart Security). Their antivirus is very light and effective and their firewall is very smart, easy to manage and configure. Additionally, ESET has IPS/HIPS module to monitor network traffic and it can block Wanna Cry via network block using IPS signature update. You can easily block incoming file and printer sharing protocols

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.