Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I've been updating the main thread (see Sep 13 post above for the link) with what I've tried, but I've struck out every time. I'm confident at this point that there isn't a known resolution for this specific problem.

Note that there's a hotfix mentioned in a recent post there for Win 8.1 that corrects a resume-from-sleep crash problem, but it may not be the same one as we have in Win 10, and I have not seen that same patch made available for Win 10. I haven't tested it since Win 8.1 no longer has a point for being, only Win7 and Win10 do.

HP Recommended

What is this hotfix you mentioned?  I'm also having the issue with my G6 with AMD dual core restarting after waking from sleep mode.  nothing I've found works as well.  Did the command prompt dskchck thing and no issues.  No memeory issues. All drivers up to date. Hybrid sleep mode enabled. and so on....

HP Recommended

You need to revert the BIOS, as seen starting in the Jan 28 post here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Pavilion-G6-Windows-10-BSOD-Erro...

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

So where is this windows 7 bios?  can someone hook me up with a link?   Also, does this BIOS need to be specific to my laptop model? 

I did spend some time chatting with microsoft help desk today.  Their solution, that I have not yet tried, is for me to get a usb drive 16gb, make a bootable drive and do an install of windows 10 that way.  they did take down the windows 7 key thats on the sticker under my laptop, provided me a link to click and download the windows upgrade.  So i'm not sure if that link is somehow connected to my product key for my original windows 7.  But if anyone would like, I could copy and paste the emailed instrctions for their solution on here.   I have not yet tried the above mentioned fix either.  I'm at a hotel wih 3Mbps internet...  kind of want to wait till I get home where my internet is solid. 

HP Recommended

No matter how you install W10 (or Win 8.1 for that matter), you will have the problem, so I wouldn't bother with MS's solution. They couldn't know that it's a BIOS problem, so they're walking you down usual troubleshooting paths.

Yes, get whatever is specific to your G6, though it's likely they all point to the same BIOS. Here's mine, for example (and see the procedure in the last link about just where on the page to go to get F.46):

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-g6-1d00-Notebook-PC-series/5186811/model/5275561

HP Recommended

Cool.  I did all that, and it worked.  I did not do what microsoft helpdesk suggested though.  (i'm going to tell them I did and that it didnt work anyway)  then present them with the real fix of reverting back to F.46 BIOS.  maybe then they can work something out to fix this....  If it even needs to be now....  I would imagine there's some laptop owners that arent going to dig as hard to find a solution and an update for windows would be easiest.  thanks for you're help guys.  Sorry I didnt find that feed on my own. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for letting them know, though it would be a minor miracle if that were to actually make an impression on them. This should be the kind of thing that MS can fix, given that they've released patches for this very error in the past.

As for whether it's possible in this instance is anyone's guess. I'm sure there are plenty of G6 owners (there are probably millions after all) who are on 10 by now given MS's aggressive upgrading and are suffering through this issue. Few probably make their way here.

HP Recommended

I would like to report that downgrading the BIOS to F.46 also worked for me; thank you very much! I have a HP Pavilion G6-1d60us if you are curious. To find yours, restart your computer and keep hitting 1, and write down your product number. Then on http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers enter your product number on the right "Enter My HP Model Number". On the next page on the right, click "change" next to "software available for your operating system".  Change "version" to "Microsoft Windows 7" and on the left click "update". Scroll down to BIOS and click "previous versions" and to the right of F.46 click "download".

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-g6-1d00-notebook-pc-series/5186811/model...

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55501-56000/sp55938.exe

One last thing; I would advise you to write down or PRINT THESE INSTRUCTIONS!! Booting into looping BSODs is scary & having these instructions handy is a good idea. Don't trust yourself to remember!

Here is a repost of the instructions in the other thread:

I managed to get my old G6-1c43nr running smoothly on Windows 10 using this meathod! (Please note that not all G6's can use this meathod and you should proceed at your own discression!)

Steps to fix this error:

1. Download BIOS revision F.46 (You most likely have F.48 or F.49) if it is available for your laptop (Go to the Windows 7 Drivers section>BIOS>Previous Versions).

2. Install the older BIOS

3.After installing the older BIOS, your laptop most likely will not boot fully, it should give a BSOD and restart, let it do this twice and the third time it should attempt to perform a startup repair THIS WILL (AND SHOULD) FAIL!

4. After startup repair fails, click on "Advanced Options"

5. Click Troubleshoot>Advanced options>Start-up settings

6. Click restart

7. When you see the start-up settings screen, press "4" on your keyboard

8. You will then boot into safe mode, do not log into your computer when presented with the login screen, just press Power>Restart

9. You should be able to fully boot into Windows now

10. Put the computer to sleep and wake it, it should now fully work!

The issue was that the newer BIOS breaks the way Windows 8/10 read the SATA configuration and downgrading the BIOS fixes it.

Enjoy!

HP Recommended

Hello Honor Student,

You most certianly are in my book (an Honor Student) !

I updated my father-in-laws Pavilion g6 Laptop about three weeks ago to W10 and tried everything I could think of to fix the BSOD and Sleep crash and SLOOOOOOW running bootup problem. I even had two 1-hr on-line sessions with MS that did not fix the problem. MS Tech's finally told me to go back to W7 (which I luckly did not) because they had no clue.

I did exactly as you outlined, and for the most part, it's working. At least no BSOD and it boots up normally. Only issue I have is 1x out of 2 "sleep" sessions it just does nothing and brings back the main Windows screen sign-out screen showing. I do the Sleep a 2nd time, and it seems to work most of the time. If I use "Hibernate" instead of "Sleep" it seems to take it every time, but is a little longer to boot-up, but infinitely better than before, and acceptable. So, maybe over time, the Sleep option will work everytime, if not, I can live with it this way.

THANKS Soooooo much. You should be working for MS or HP with your skills. Even your instructions were details and stated how to be careful (and print out the instructions). You are the best.... 🙂 !

SoJerseyGolfer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.