Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings wonderful people!

I recently tried upgrading ram in an old laptop and it conflicted with the AMD 8400 driver. Over a few days of putting back old ram, loading a different driver, disassembling and putting in new ram and achieving no success, I had it back to normal and thought I'd try getting more diags.

Yeah, I did that MSCONFIG thing, but because I always use a pin to login, I can't remember my password to get a command prompt, or anything at all. I'm effectively locked out of the machine, which is nice 😵

I have a usb key drive and an ssd turning up today to attempt several things.

Question 1: If I boot off the USB to attempt recovery or repair, will it still require authentication on an account on associated with the machine?

Question 2: if I install the SSD and do a fresh install of Windows 10 (yey) will my authentication key still be valid? My aim would be to then copy my music and photos off the original drive.

To reiterate, I don't have old password for this lappy and have been unsuccessful in booting into any safe modes, having tried a ridiculously huge number of times, so telling me to try that is appreciated, but ain't gonna fly 😀

Considered feedback gratefully appreciated!

Thanks 👍

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.