Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have a problem with a brand new Envy x360 bq113TU.

I suspect a compatibility problem between the HP 3D DriveGuard accelerometer driver, the VT setting and Hyper-V, since if I uninstall it, I can boot once with VT enabled, but then it reinstalls the driver and won't boot again.

I have even tried the trick of doing a complete fresh Windows install with the VT pre-enabled. It was fine until I enabled Hyper-V.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to disable the driver, which is annoying, because it serves no purpose when you have an SSD (which I have).

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

So ok, I have a new suspect - the video driver.

I did another complete clean install after first disabling TPM (just in case) and SecureBoot (I did a test load of Ubuntu in between).

I kept the laptop offline, and got Hyper-V installed and running, with a number of devices not working properly (because I was offline, and no Windows update).

Among the devices not loading properly, was the video card.

I enabled my WiFi, and then did all the updates, which included DriveGuard, and the Vega video drivers, but the video card kept its yellow warning in Device Manager, even after a reboot.

But Hyper-V was still working.

I then uninstalled the 'faulty' video card in device manager. This triggered Windows to automatically update it again, whereupon my laptop just reset itself (just a black screen and eventual reboot, no BSOD).

I disabled VT in the BIOS, and was able to boot again. I then removed the video driver again, and it reverted to 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'. I then re-enabled VT in the BIOS, and my laptop is still working.

I am about to try loading the HP/AMD video drivers again, and will post the results when I am done.

As part of this latest build, I also tried using Microsoft's "Show/Hide Windows Updates" to disable installation of DriveGuard, but it doesn't work. Even with DriveGuard 'hidden', it still keeps installing if I uninstall the device (presumably because it is seen as an install, not an update).

HP Recommended

So I can confirm that even using the latest drivers from HP (SP82184), loading the Vega driver while Virtualization Technology (VT) is enabled stops my laptop from booting. The Windows Update driver has the same problem. (the driver versions are 22.19.655.1 and 22.19.655.2).

As far as I can tell, there are no AMD generic drivers available (from AMD) for the Ryzen Mobile Vega.

After loading the Vega driver, the laptop will only boot if I disable VT.

If I switch to 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter', then I can reenable VT and Hyper-V will continue working.

Fortunately, for my immediate purposes, I don't need the Vega drivers, but it would be good to get it sorted.

HP Recommended

I can confirm same behavior with an Envy x360 15 bq101ng.

Try newest AMD 18.1.1 Adenalin driver with using Vega RX from the inf manually. But no change. Boot with VT disabled in BIOS und if VT enabled Windows doesnt boot.

Talk to HP Support about that and got a link to this thread as part of the 1. answer 😉

HP Recommended

I have an HP Envy x360 15m-bq121dx with the AMD Ryzen 5 with Radeon Vega 8 Mobile Grapgics and I have the same issue!! It is very frustrating and HP has been no help to get this working. Has anyone tried VirtualBox? I would prefer Hyper-V but I could probably get by with VirtualBox if it works. I'd test it, but the laptop is out for service with another issue.

HP Recommended

Same Issue! No solutions yet.  I had to go through two virtual assistants to get to a HP Support guy who just wasted my time for and hour and tried to fob me off.  He had no idea how to solve the issue and even tried to refer me to a service I would need to pay for...Really annoying and useless customer support.

I imagine maybe when a new driver comes out it might solve itself. For now I will have a go at disabling the Video driver and enabling the standard Microsoft driver as Price reported above.

HP Recommended
If you search for vega mobile on the Microsoft update catalog ( https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Vega%20mobile)
you can experiment wirh newer drivers which are not certified for the x360, but will work. Some will work with VT. Some will appear to work, but may cause seemingly unrelated stability problems.

I had one working well, but forgot to note which one before rebuilding my laptop. So I don't have VT back on yet.
HP Recommended

That microsoft page has cab files. When I re-install drivers, Windows is looking for *.inf files.  I tried installing the latest cab file there using Device Manager and trying to force it to accept the cab file, bit it said the "best driver was already installed". I uninstalled the driver and tried again, but it would not take the cab file. 

I also tried right clicking on the cab file, but there was no context menu for install.

I also tried using the command prompt (Admin PowerShell) and tried the DISM command:

DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\Users\l\Downloads\a.cab" but it said it could not find the file, even though the path was copied to the clipboard and the file renamed in the simplest way possible.

I also ran the BIOS update tool, which went through the motions and installed F.17 which did nothing to fix the problem.

I also reinstalled Windows as per the recomendation of one of teh many Microsoft "agents" I chatted to without any actual progress.

Is there a solution yet HP? 

HP Recommended

To install a driver from a CAB file, you will need to extract the CAB file into a folder. I usually use 7-ZIP for this (from 7-zip.org).

Then, just 'upgrading' your driver won't work, because there are no new drivers with the exact same ID as your laptop's Vega.

So you have to choose the option 'Browse my computer for driver software', and then 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'. Then you need to untick the 'Show compatible hardware' option, and *then* the 'Have Disk...' button. After picking the folder into which you've extracted the CAB file, you will get a list of video cards.

There will be *many* cards in the list.

For the Ryzen Envy X360, the card is a Vega 8 Mobile. But plain old Vega 8 can also work, depending on the driver version and specs of the *actual* Vega 8 cards being targeted by that version of the driver.

To find a stable version, I would start with the *latest* cab file from Microsoft, and then work backwards from there.

You will need to install the driver, it may:

1) crash your computer a lot.

2) work, but no better than your current one.

3) work much better than your current one, but crash your computer occassionally.

4) work reliably.

5) work reliably until the next Windows update.

There are no guarantees when you load an 'unsupported' driver.

There are some conversations on reddit on this same topic. I'd also suggest poking around there.

Having said that, someone on reddit posted this link:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-15-cp0000-x360-convertible-pc/20270303

which lists new Vega mobile drivers for 1709 and 1803.

HP Recommended

Just to clarify, simply extracting the .cab will not work as most of the files need to be in a specific folder. In anycase, this is no longer needed as the AMD drivers now work. You just have to force install the "AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8" driver using the usual "Have Disk" method and pointing to the .INF. The "new" drivers on HP's site still don't work correctly.

I am currently running  24.20.12019.1010 Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.7.1-July19 without any issues so far.

If you want to install the latest Radeon software (which you probably do) then all you need to do is run the installer which will fail. Then edit C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.7.1-July19\Config\CIMManifest.xml and replace section 27 as follows:

<td>27</td>

<td>0x15DD</td>

<td>0x83C6</td>

<td>0x1002</td>

<td>0x103C</td>

<td>RV B8 15W FP5 15DD_REV_C4</td>

<td>AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Mobile Graphics</td>

<td>0xC4</td>

Run the installer again from C:\AMD\Whatever-Version-You're-Using\ and it will complete, but will not install the video driver (which will still need to be installed manually).

Thanks to rami93 for posting this in https://community.amd.com/thread/224760

That thread is about the same junky drivers and youtube issues, but still relevant.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Fixed link

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.