Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi,

I've replaced my laptop's hard disk with an SSD and used a DVD caddy to install my HDD( so the internal disk is SSD and the DVD is replaced with HDD though a caddy)

but the problem is that each time I turn on the system the laptop boots from the HDD and not the SSD, I get a black screen since the HDD has no boot sector and it tries to boot from it never the less.

to boot from the SSD I have to inturrept the boot and go to the boot manager and select the second drive

photo_2019-02-19_17-55-41.jpg

Now I wanted the laptop to automatically boot from the second drive( the SSD) so I went to the bios settings to change the boot order but the problem is that the bios doesn't see two drives instead i get DVD and HDD and even if i have HDD (which i assumed means the internal sata connector that's connected to the ssd) before the DVD (which now has the HDD through caddy) the laptop still tries to boot from the HDD in the DVD connector.

photo_2019-02-19_17-48-24.jpg

Is this a bug in the bios ? how can I solve it ?

Regards

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@MOHAMMAD_RASIM

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I understand you are in need of support, As you've performed relevant troubleshooting steps and the issue persists, I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options for your laptop.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

• Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/
  • Select the product type.
  • Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.
  • Select the country from the drop-down.
  • You should see the HP support number or Chat option listed

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Echo_Lake wrote:

@MOHAMMAD_RASIM

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I understand you are in need of support, As you've performed relevant troubleshooting steps and the issue persists, I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options for your laptop.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

• Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/
  • Select the product type.
  • Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.
  • Select the country from the drop-down.
  • You should see the HP support number or Chat option listed

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

I couldn't find my country in the drop-down list, that's why I asked here for community support

HP Recommended

@MOHAMMAD_RASIM
Thank you for posting back. 

I understand the difficulty with the problem. Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Could you please let me know your country/state?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My country is Iraq

HP Recommended

@MOHAMMAD_RASIM

Let's try this link: https://www8.hp.com/emea_middle_east/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed the link and entered my serial number and it says my warranty is expired

HP Recommended

@MOHAMMAD_RASIM

My support service is limited. Hence, I would recommend please choose one of the "out of warranty options" from the support site.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.