Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have entered the magic phrase
“ chkdsk c: /f /r /x” and my HP laptop 24 hours
ago and although the drive lights are still lit
when should I interact, and how ?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@s_gw 

As you probably know, this is just the command to run CHKDSK and it should run in just a few minutes and display the results in the command window you opened.  There is no "interaction" with this command -- you just run it.

So, I don't understand the question.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you Sir. My predicament was the extended length of the operation which stuck on ‘Level 4’.

Previous running a system check brought up a DST error so short of putting the laptop in the freezer until it repented (kidding) I simply was curious as to what the correct action should have been.

Anyway, I gave up and shut the **bleep** thing down.

Thanks for your interest.

HP Recommended

@s_gw 

A hanging CHKDSK is nearly always an indication of hardware failure --as most like, a seek is failing and then being repeated endlessly.  Good thing you did not put the laptop in a freezer as that would not have helped the situation.  The drive basically needs to be replaced.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Have ordered a replacement from HP. Not sure about due date!

Meanwhile, will my Retrospect backup be sufficient?

Will there be any gaps in data ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.