Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7-6143cl
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Computer is EXTREMELY SLOW...meaning 30 seconds after I click on Enter or enter something.....before the computer responds.  Often programs FREEZE UP.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Do extensive hard drive and memory tests from BIOS. 

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259

Let it finish. Report back with results.

Manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842278

HP Recommended
You suggested "Do extensive hard drive and memory tests from BIOS. "  because my PC freezes, programs go non-responsive.

I am doing THIS email on my second computer.  The HP laptop is trying to run the Fast Test, but nothing is happening.  It has been 4 minutes, and no messages are on the screen.  Time remaining and messages are NOT on the HP laptop screen.  No failure code is on the screen.  The computer aborted (blue screen) and tried to do a big dump.  I cancelled that and turned off the computer.

The second time, the screen went totally BLACK and  nothing was visible at all on the screen; this happened during the second type of the Fast Test.  I turned off the computer.

Third time:  during the second type of the Fast Test, the entire screen went black again, and then it continued.
It completed "normally" (I guess), and all types passed.

Now running the Extensive Test.  Will take 2 hours or more.

Genealogygirl
HP Recommended

The second test, the one that was to take 2+ hours, finished in about 15-20 minutes.  Everything PASSED.

Now what?

HP Recommended

Is memory test passed? 

Is the slowness still there?

HP Recommended

Yes, still slow, but not AS slow.  Program froze yesterday for awhile.  Also, my computer actually CLOSED the program while I was working in it.  Still I do not understand WHY the laptop is SO slow and unresponsive and unreliable!

Sandy

HP Recommended

The problem persists.  I EVEN have an extra fan sitting under my laptop (the extra fan is designed to be used with laptops) to help preventing over-heating.  Programs STILL freeze, and the computer often sits IDLE for 10 seconds after I enter a phrase or do something,  Operating system is Windows 7.  SLOW computer, often freezes.

HP Recommended

@Genealogygirl

Welcome to HP forums.

I have a few steps to identify and resolve the issue: 

Common causes of slow system performance: 

• Not enough free disk space or disk errors. 

• Applications that require a lot of system resources. 

• Too many tasks running at the same time. 

• Nonessential graphic features. 

• Not enough memory. 

• Overheating due to intensive graphic applications or dust in vents. 

• Running multiple instances of anti-virus software. 

Microsoft Fix it Solution to automatically improve system performance 

To automatically improve system performance, click the Microsoft Fix it Solution: 

MS Fixit 974820 

Turning off nonessential graphical features to improve system performance 

Graphical features and programs can use a lot of system resources. 

Turning off these features can improve system performance. 

This section explains how to adjust visual effects for best performance and how to disable Windows Aero. 

Adjusting visual effects for best performance 

Disabling Windows Aero 

The best way to do that is using the HP Guided Troubleshooter:  

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern). 

Keep me posted. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.