Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp laptop stream
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My computer froze and started making a buzzing noise. So I forced a shutdown now it wont start up just flashes a black screen.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@almaraz34
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you tried connecting the computer to an external monitor to test the display?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

Use these steps even if you cannot see anything on the monitor:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Connect the notebook to a power source using the power adapter.

3. Press and hold the Windows key  and the B key at the same time while the computer is off.
  4. While still pressing both keys, hold down the Power button for one second, and then release the Power button and the keys.

The power LED light remains on, and the screen remains blank for about 40 seconds. You might hear beeping sounds. Afterwards, an HP BIOS Update screen displays and the BIOS update begins.

If recovering the BIOS did not resolve the blank screen problem, continue to the next step. "Reseating the memory modules"

Use the following steps to remove and reseat the memory modules:

1. Turn off the computer, and then disconnect the power cord.

CAUTION: Electrostatic discharge (ESD) can damage electronic components. Before beginning any procedure, touch a grounded metal object to discharge static electricity.
  2. Remove the cover to access the memory.

Your computer might look different than the computer in the graphic.

NOTE: Some computers might not have a cover that provides access to the memory. Have the computer serviced if you cannot access the memory.

Removing the  cover

1. Retention screws (2)

2. Direction to remove compartment cover

3. Remove memory modules in the computer.

Pulling out the RAM

4. Reinsert all memory modules.

1. Notch alignment

2. Direction to insert the module

3. Direction to seat module

5. Replace the cover, battery, and power cord.

6. Turn on the computer.

7. Perform any tests to verify that the computer can start up and run in the Windows operating system.

If the computer fails to boot to the Windows desktop, I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.