Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 17.3 inch Laptop PC 17-c1000 (4B770AV)

excessive boot times in excess of 5+ minutes on 17-cn1053

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @REW32235,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Experiencing excessive boot times on your HP laptop can be frustrating, but there are several steps you can take to troubleshoot and hopefully resolve the issue.

• Check Startup Programs: Sometimes, too many programs set to launch at startup can slow down boot times. Review the programs set to launch at startup and disable any that are unnecessary. You can do this through the Task Manager in Windows.
  • Update Drivers: Ensure that all your device drivers, especially those for critical components like the hard drive and chipset, are up to date. You can usually find the latest drivers on HP's support website.
  • Check for Malware: Malware infections can significantly slow down your system. Run a full scan using your antivirus software to check for and remove any malware.
  • Disk Cleanup: Use the built-in Disk Cleanup utility in Windows to remove temporary files and other unnecessary data that may be clogging up your system.
  • Defragment Your Hard Drive: If you're using a traditional spinning hard drive (not an SSD), defragmenting the drive can help improve boot times by organizing files more efficiently. However, this is less of an issue with modern versions of Windows, as they automatically optimize disk usage.
  • Check Hard Drive Health: Use a utility like CrystalDiskInfo to check the health of your hard drive. If it's failing, it may need to be replaced.
  • BIOS Update: Check if there are any BIOS updates available for your laptop on HP's support website. Sometimes, BIOS updates can improve system stability and performance.
  • Hardware Check: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, there may be a hardware problem causing the slow boot times. 

By following these steps, you should be able to identify and resolve the issue causing your HP laptop to have excessive boot times.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

As a former hardware and pc instructor, I have performed all of these suggestions, all to no avail.

I would have thought a 1TB SSD drive and 790 GB free that it would boot quickly.  You know like my ipad.

In the days of the dinosaur circa late 1970 - 1980's, slow boot meant not enough ram.  So, I upgraded from 12 GB to 64 GB.

Result: still the same : 5+ minutes before the pc is operational.

Roy

HP Recommended

I'm not horning on the HP Rep -- just stopping by to tell you this is NOT a RAM issue. 

I have an old desktop with a 2.5" SSD and 8GB of RAM and it boots in a few seconds.

My primary desktop has 16GB of DDR4 RAM and it flies along, booting in a few seconds.

Adding more RAM actually slows down the boot because Windows does a RAM check on each reboot.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.