Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Envy hp envy 15-j100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'd appreciate your help here.  I've recently acquired yet another Hp laptop, Hp Envy hp envy 15-j100  i7 with no hard drive which i'd really like to get running for a bit of video editing work. 

I was told apart from the hard drive this was complete and working fine but I've tried four different HDD, one of which was a 1 trbte taken from another Hp Envy i5 and no luck on that or any of the other HDD,  + I tried  a brand new samsung 500gb evo 860  SSD  which is up and running on my other, this machine but  still no luck  with is i7!!

I've played around with the boot order, disabled boot legacy etc and nothings worked.

When I change the boot order it does come up and ask me to put in a 4 digit code which I do but then just reverts back to the following screen :

'Boot device not found' etc etc 

Hard disk 3FO....etc etc.

Checked the ribbon. cable but still no luck.

The Hp self diagnostic test via F2 comes up as not installed.  Can I run this at all via a flash drive??

I've downloaded a win 10 media installation via flash and had some luck as it started to install and then came up as not able to upgrade and I ran the trouble shoot and that came up as unable to repair or words to that affect. 

I'm not smart enough to try the advanced options for installing from the media installation flash drive......so I'm now at a bit of a loss as to what to do next!!

........been at this for a good couple of days and not sure what to try!

Any ideas do let me know.

And once again thanks for your help,

Paul

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@PaulPSM 

If you've tried brand new drives and the PC prompts for a code, then my guess is the PC has a TPM chip and someone did encryption using that and without that code, you won't be able to get access to any drive.

I have no idea how to reset that code because it's now embedded into the firmware.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Ok, well that's interesting, I wasn't aware of that. 

I'm hoping its the drive cable as it looks as if its seen better days and I've ordered a new one.

Question,

I understand its possible to put an SSD in via the optical dvd player as that has a sata port. 

Would that make a difference or is firmware firmware,  

Thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.