Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have an HD DV7-4053lc that is locked up solid with a blank screen and a caps lock light that is on solid. Tried the standard hard reset with battery and power cord removed and power button held down for 30 seconds...no

Spoiler

results.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @geohacker ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have looked into your issue about your HP Pavilion dv7-4053cl  Notebook with the screen blank and not turning on. Here is a document on computer won't start.

Please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices, as these could cause some issues.

Have you tried to connect the Notebook up to a monitor to see if it displays an error of some kind?

This document shows you how if you need it.

Have you made any changes to the Notebook, software or a device?

Please let me know how this goes.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi and thanks for getting back to me. As your note asks...I have removed all usb and add on devices. We tried using an external monitor and nothing displayed on that screen. No new sofware or hardware has been added to the lap top. The fans come on when the device is first turned on then  they cycle off and the lap top seems to be silent. Is this the "Black Screen Of Death" that HP's are noted for???

HP Recommended

Hi @geohacker ,

What happened when you went through the document provided?

Here is a link to restore the BIOS.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

There was nothing in the documentation that was not tried already. Still no results. Unable to see bios to reset it. Screen is absolutely dark and caps lock light is on solid.

HP Recommended

Hey @geohacker ,  

Have you tried reseating the memory?

You will have to take it to a repair facility so they can test what is failing.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Laptop was tested with and without memory installed. Put memory back in and still black screen and caps lock on solid. Dead to the world.

HP Recommended

Hello Geohacker,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message after the weekend from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details)

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

I worked for HP.
HP Recommended

Thank you. I look forward to interacting with them on this problem.

HP Recommended
Same issue here ...What's the deal
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.