01-21-2020 06:31 AM
When I boot my win 10 HP Envy 17 laptop it enters the lockscreen mode which is normal. Next I have to get to the password field screen to enter my PIN after which the laptop will continue to my username desktop
My issue is that when I press any keyboard key this transition from lock screen to password/PIN field screen does not happen when I use any key of my keyboard so I have to click/tap my touchpad mouse.
My keyboard works normally when I am in Windows and if I Win + l my laptop and send it into lock mode after boot and usage it WILL change my lockscreen to password/PIN field screen with a keyboard press OR touchpad mouse
Anything I can try to activate my password screen using keyboard..
Nothing major just an annoyance I need solved
01-23-2020 04:01 PM
@perfection161 Greetings from the HP Community!
Did you check if the issue occurs on an external keyboard?
While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:
I recommend you attempt the below steps to identify the cause of the failure and resolve it accordingly:
- Try changing the keyboard layout/language and check if it works: Click here for steps.
- Clean the keyboard with compressed air (blow compressed air in the gaps between keys). This removes some lint and dust.
- Shut down the laptop, remove the battery and cable for a moment, press and hold the start button for 60 seconds
- Replace the battery, restart the notebook,
- if the issue persists, perform an interactive hardware test on the keyboard using the steps mentioned on this link: Click here (look under "Running Component Tests > Keyboard test").
Or write back to me for alternate solutions to getting it fixed via HP.
Let me know how that pans out,
If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,
That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,
Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.
I am an HP Employee
02-02-2020 09:52 AM - edited 02-02-2020 09:56 AM
Thanks for offering to help me.....
My keyboard (and every key on it is working 100%.
Perhaps I did not make myself clear …….
When I boot up my laptop I HAVE TO INVOKE THE LOGIN PROMPT SCREEN BY TOUCHPAD MOUSE CLICK ONLY AND IT CANNOT BE INVOKED BY A KEYBOARD KEY PRESS. Once I get the login prompt I AM ABLE TO ENTER MY PIN OR PASSWORD to log in
When my laptop is on and I hit Win + L to lock it, I AM ABLE TO INVOKE THE PASSWORD PROMPT BY EITHER KEYBOARD KEY PRESS OR TOUCHPAD MOUSE CLICK
Thanks for any help on this!
yes I did power off and press the power button for 60 seconds and I have also done the HP hardware diagnostic test which the keyboard passed with flying colours!
I also connected an external usb keyboard but it did NOT manage to invoke the password prompt from the boot up lock screen
02-02-2020 11:42 AM
@perfection161 I appreciate the clarification, that said, this issue might be due to corrupted system files.
To address this, we suggest that you start your PC in safe mode if the issue will persists, and if it does, perform a startup repair using the below steps:
- Open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & security icon.
- Click/tap on Recovery on the left side, and click/tap on Restart now under Advanced startup on the right side.
- Click/tap on Troubleshoot.
- Click/tap on Advanced options.
- Click/tap on Startup Repair.
- If prompted, select the OS you want to perform a startup repair on.
- If prompted, select an administrator account to provide credentials for approval.
- A) type in the password of the selected administrator, and click/tap on Continue.
- Start Repair will now start "Diagnosing your PC", and attempt to automatically repair it.
- If repairs aren't successful, you'll see a summary of the problem in the log file.
That's it, that should resolve the issue.
If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.
I am an HP Employee