cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
sky_14
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

m.2 SSD not showing in boot Menu

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Cx=0140tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got a new samsung 970 evo plus nvme m.2 ssd it is visible in This PC and in disk Management but I can't see it in BIOS to change my boot order the only drive I  see is my HDD 

How can I resolve this so my windows boots from ssd and not HDD 

I really appreciate any help here 

2 REPLIES 2
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
145,034 68,595 22,827 35,003
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Notebooks that come from the factory with dual drive configurations have no operating system on the 2.5" drive.

The first thing to do is to temporarily disconnect the 2.5" drive and make sure the notebook automatically boots from the SSD.

If it does, you will need to remove the OS from the 2.5" drive, or the notebook will automatically want to boot from that drive first.

Connect the hard drive back up, and then you can remove Windows by making a bootable USB installation flash drive with the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Boot from the installation media and you can clean the disk with Diskpart.

Watch this video for how to do that from the installation media...Skip about the first 4:40 minutes and just follow the instructions from when he boots from the Windows installation media.

Use of Diskpart to Format Clean or Wipe Clean All Partitions on a Drive Before Windows Installation ...

Then you can either create and format a new partition with the media creation tool, or use the Windows disk management utility to do that.

When you use dispart, make sure you select the right disk to clean!

You want to make sure you select the 1 TB drive, and as long as your NVMe SSD is not 1 TB as well, that should be easy to determine what disk you need to clean.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
banhien
Level 20
Level 20
100,855 39,890 13,097 27,447
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@sky_14 

Please try this way: remove the old HDD and try again, You can put old HDD back after format it outside your machine

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation