Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
pavilion dv6700
Microsoft Windows XP

When I am asked to enter my password there is no letter entering the window, so I tried to get to the BIOS and even there when try to move from one item to the other with an up or down arrow, there is beep but no movement. It feels as if the keyboard was not linked to the computer. Can you help me? Thanks and regards!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@frogeraie,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

This looks to be a possible hardware failure with the notebook. However, I would suggest here is to connect an external USB keyboard and check if that works.

If the external keyboard also fails then this could clearly indicate a possible hardware failure with the keyboard controller going bad. 

In this scenario, I would personally suggest you contact our HP support team for further assistance. 

HP Support team can be reached on this link.

Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried with a USB keyboard and the behavior is the same.

A clue I didn't mention is that if I try to reinstall the operating system (Ubuntu) with a DVD (the BIOS is locked on DVD 1rst boot) I can enter, when asked, some information with the keyboard (name, computer name, etc ...) but not in some window (e.g. password for wifi). So, if, as you suggest,  the keyboard controller went bad it is in a very specific way!

HP Recommended

@frogeraie,

I would still recommend you contact our HP support for further assistance. 

I'm sure they should be able to go ahead and address your issue.

Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

That said take care and have a great day!

Thank you 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.