6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

not booting from ssd

cq61
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I have a notebook Presario CQ61. i have remouve the optical drive and instal a caddy with old HDD ( with win 7 on it ). At hardrive location i have intall a SSD with win 10. In bios order is set to boot first from harddrive, but when starting the sistem boot only from old HDD. When i select manualy in bios to boot from harddrive, the the sistem is booting from SSD, but at restart wont boot anymore from SSD. At every start is nesesary tu select manualy from bios to boot from hardrive, event that order boot is first harddrive and second optical.

To resolve some way this problem i have to switch SSD with HDD. In this configuration, SSD in optical, the sistem boot always from SSD, but i think that slower the SSD because form the slower controller of optical drive.

What i have to do to work fine with SSD in hardrive and HDD in optical?

thx

2 REPLIES 2
Level 15
Level 15
18,858 18,800 1,756 4,155
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

not booting from ssd

@AnaMihai 

You might simply NOT be able to do what you want to do -- because in laptops with optical drives and hard drives, the optical drive is "hard-wired" to be drive "zero" -- so that any disk you put in it will automatically be used as a boot disk.

Unless someone else here has a workaround, you are stuck with whatever is connected to optical drive port being the default boot drive.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
AnaMihai
Level 1
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

not booting from ssd

So, if iwill delete win 7 from HDD it will work? Then the system wont see it as a boot disk and it will past over, so it will boot from SSD. It is right what I say?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation