Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 4540
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

I have an issue with startup. Everytime I turn on my notebook it says boot device not found. I have tried numerous methods to solve this problem.

First I did memory and hard drive check by pressing F2 key System Diagnostics and on both occasions it says Passed.

Secondly I pressed F10 and went into BIOS Setup where I disabled SecureBoot and enabled Legacy.  This did not solve the problem either.

Then I tried connecting my USB device and changed the Boot order. It still did not solve the problem, instead now it says Missing Operating System.

Is there other methods to solve this problem? I read that its also possible that there is a problem with MBR. If its that complex would it be possible to recover all the data and files on the notebook?

Finally, I went to the repair shop to try and fix the problem. The technician tried to make quick check by pressing F10. Here's the question. After pressing the button there question appears "Log in into F10 as a guest user?" with options Yes or No. Technician pressed No and then it requires password that he asked me. The password is the same as logging in into my Windows account, therefore it was a red flag to me and I left the shop. The question is whether it is safe to give so called technician my  password?  Does he need to know it cause that sounds exactly what a scammer wants to know. 

ALI3F

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@ALI3F 

IF your PC came with Win10 preloaded, then it came already configured in UEFI mode -- and forcing the change to Legacy is a sure-fire way of guaranteeing it will NOT boot after that.  You need to change it back to UEFI mode.

In UEFI mode, the drive is preformatted GPT, so there is no MBR.  So, there is no way to repair that because it does not exist.  In UEFI, the EUFI System Partition (ESP) handles the booting, not an MBR.

As to the password, if you need one to enter the BIOS, that password is encrypted into the firmware of the system board and is unrelated to any password that Windows might have.  I have no idea why they would be the same password -- as I have seen that in COMPANY-Issued laptops but not in personal ones.

I would leave the BIOS alone, reset the PC back to UEFI mode, and run the tests indicated below:

This issue is often due to a failing drive. So, let's check that first, because if it is failing, it would need to be replaced and there is no point then in doing anything else until we confirm that.

Since your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.