Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hi all,

I had a major issue with my HP Probook 4540s and am hoping I can find a solution through this forum.

I was working on my laptop and it started making strange sounds. This wasn't the regular sound of the fan but almost as if there was a short circuit. I shut down the laptop for a bit and turned it on again. This time, the system would just not boot, I keep getting the error "No bootable image found, notebook will be shutdown." I tried going into the start up menu to find a solution but don't really know what to do. Also, there is no option anywhere to enter the system in safe mode, I tried pressing f8 repeatedly but that didn't help. Moreover, I tried to perform a hard disk check from the system configuration options and am getting a message saying "not installed"

I had inserted a cd a couple of hours before which I had to copy items from. I double checked later to see if the cd was infected and it wasn't (I used avg to scan it on another computer).

Clearly this seems to be a hard drive issue. Anyone had a similar issue and know how to troubleshoot? Will I have to reformat my computer and lose all data?

Help!
13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi

Try this : 

Go to BIOS Setup F10, select System Configuration, deactivate "Secure Boot", then select "Legacy" as "Boot option". Save and exit check if this works.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended
Thank you for this. I tried it and it now gives me a different error:

"boot device not found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk."

HP Recommended
Just tried this as well, got it from another forum:

Enter BIOS by tapping away at the F10 key immediately after powering on the laptop.Once in BIOS, tap the F9 key to reset 'Defaults', then F10 to Save & exit.

Not working
HP Recommended

Hi

Once unit is powered on keep tapping F2 key and run the system diagnostic check if the Hard drive is getting detected. If yes run the test for Hard drive. If the Hard drive is not detected if you are comfortable try reseating the Hard drive and check if that works Link given below for your reference.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443463

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended
Already did the f2 thing, getting "not installed" error.

Also reseated the hard drive a while back, getting the same error still
HP Recommended

Hi

Sorry for the delay in response issue seems to be with the Hard drive not getting detected which needs to be replaced. Request you to call HP Technical support and check the warranty information and get the part replaced. If in case your unit is OOW and you need help please let me know.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

bios setup is not open

HP Recommended

hi 

i have the same problem in my laptop hp elitebook 840 ;but i foget the bios password 

please help me !!

HP Recommended

Thank you very much ben man it served me wonderfully

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.