Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ELITEBOOK G5 745
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi guys,

My dad gave me his work laptop because he left and the company has not contacted him to give it back for more than a year. Problem is when I try to download Linux on using a USB, i cant change the boot order because the BIOS has a password.

I removed the CMOS battery for about 10 minutes , then plugged it back him, in hopes to reset the password..

Now I am getting a " real-time clock power loss (005) " error message when I try to get into the bios. The laptop can still boot into windows 7 though. Can anyone please help me as to why I am getting this message. The rtc is correctly inserted, also the laptop is a hp elitebook g5 745. thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@armal

Thank you for using HP Support Community.

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.