Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I've heard that happen to others.

The easiest way to do it is to run the mbr to gpt command in the command prompt.

It is supposed to work, but sometimes a person gets the same error you did.

Also since you can't disable legacy mode without enabling secure boot, W7 won't work because it is not compatible with Secure Boot.

If you have upgraded to W10 in the past...

The only suggestion I can offer, since I have no problem booting from an EFI boot source would be to see if this works.

Download the W10 ISO file using the media creation tool from the link below.  Have it create the ISO file, not the USB flash drive.

Then use the free Rufus utility to transfer the ISO file to a USB flash drive so that it is bootable.  Select the bootable UEFI option.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Is there a specific reason you want to do this?

If it is to run W11, your PC fails to qualify on at least two areas...no TPM 2.0 and no Intel 8th gen core processor.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your suggestions. Infact  i want to upgrade to window 10 and install my notebook in gpt partition . The picture you have send of your machine of boot manager (f9) with boot option menu and is it in legacy or uefi mode

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Here's what I recommend you do...

You don't need to install W10 in EFI mode to have it work.

I have a few PC's that run W10 in Legacy mode.

Assuming you have reinstalled W7 in legacy mode, just click on the blue Update Now button at the link below to get the free upgrade to W10.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Once you have upgraded to W10 and you have confirmed the installation is activated with a digital license, you can go back and try clean installing W10 in efi mode using the instructions I posted earlier with the Rufus tool and the ISO file.

When you clean install W10, select the right version from the list you will see and if you are asked to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

W10 works with legacy mode disabled/secure boot enabled.

Looking at the specs, your PC should be able to run W10 just fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.