Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17t-n000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Envy 17t-n000 Notebook.  It has a Samsung MZNTE512HMJH-000H1 512 GB solid state hard drive.

I would like to add a 2nd solid state hard drive to this.

Can I add a 1 TB solid state hard drive such as a Samsung 970 EVO.

I realize that this Samsung would be much faster than even the Samsung 860 EVO.

I would like to transfer my files and folders from my 12 year old antiquated Dell intel 2 quad core processor.  The hard drive has 49 bad sectos according to a test. 

I have this desktop backed up weekly on Acronis True Image 2020.

I am being advised this might be the smartest solution to just adding a 2nd solid state hard drive to the HP notebook as compared to buying a new desktop with an i9 processor and 2 TB Solid State hard drive.

Would I be able to just add any 2nd hard drive such as the ones mentioned above or would I be limited due to the hard drive that is already installed?

Thank you for any help you can all offer on this dilemma!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@FredricJLowe 

Your machine is a CTO machine. You can have dual storage with M.2 SSD + 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD therefore you can add 2.5" SATA SSD using

https://www.crucial.com/products/ssd/crucial-mx500-ssd
          https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/860evo/
    Or similar from reputable vendors.
           One example

https://www.crucial.com/ssd/mx500/ct1000mx500ssd1/ct11508215

But you need following 2 parts

• Hard drive connector cable part # 813795-001
  • Hard Drive Hardware Kit part # 813796-001

Note: your existing MZNTE512HMJH-000H1 is also a SATA drive. Samsung 970 EVO won't work and (if supported) won't run faster.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you!!

Does CTO mean Configured to Order?

I do not understand why a 970 would not work vs an 860.

Could you please elaborate on this briefly?

If I can use the Samsung 860 or comparable Crucial brand, can I put in a 1 TB drive to complement the existing one or will I be limited to another 500 GB one.

HP Recommended

The 970 appears to be only available as an NVME PCI drive which your system does not support. You system came with a an M2 SSD drive that is 6Gb SATA. You simply do not have the interface to support the faster drive. You should have no issue adding a 1Tb drive to this system if you use the cable and mount references by @banhien 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you!!  I think I understand now.  The Samsung 860 is a SATA whereas the 970 is not.

If I use the Acronis 2020 True Image backup from my desktop, can I just reinstall files, folders and applications to the new SSD hard drive without installing the existing Windows 10 from the desktop? 

The reason I ask is that I had a lot of windows errors on the desktop Windows 10 Home Edition that I became aware of. Apparently they are all fixed , but if I already have Windows 10 installed on the existing solid state hard drive on the HP Envy notebook, I would like to have the Notebook bootup from the Windows 10 on the existing Solid State hard drive.

Is this possible?  I am trying to make this transition as easy as possible.   Or would I simply clone the new SDD?   But doesn't that also install the existing Windows 10 from the desktop?

HP Recommended

I've been trying to learn about what all of you are suggesting.

For this 2nd solid state hard drive, is this a M2 2.5" SATA SDD or just a 2.5" SATA SDD?

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.